Chapter Twelve

Headline: SUMMIT PROTESTERS CAUSE RIOT OVER ALIEN PRESENCE
Headline: CHINA THANKS WORLD LEADERS FOR AID AT SUMMIT
Headline: MOON COLONY VETOED AS FUNDS RUN DRY
Headline: THOUSANDS OF AUSTRALIANS REFUGEES DYING IN BOATS AS STORMS HIT
Headline: ZIGGY PARTNERS WITH OTHSHALI'I NATALIE FOR FASHION WEEK

Valerie had already filled up 15 containers with water since the start of the day and there were only about 18 containers in her pile to go. She plugged a rubber bung in the carboy that obviously belonged to Frank and placed it on the trolley next to her. She swept the hair off her neck and picked up another jar to fill from the river that was a trickle of its former glory. It pained her to see a symbol of her youth being drained away before her eyes. The futility of it all frustrated her and the river's transformation from a powerful raging body of water to a piddly little stream almost made her want to cry. She watch the younger kids playing in the water downstream and envied their lack of understanding. All this would seem like a fairy tale to them when they grew up, a memory of a river that would be no more. At the rate the river was being diverted, they wouldn't have a week before it ran dry. Carl and some of the younger guys were looking at building their own damn so they could make a catchment before the rest of it ran out, but Parker believed they would be breaking local council law in doing so without the correct permits. He had suggested they build tanks to catch rain water instead.

She filled up another jar and placed it on the trolley then stood up straight to stretch her aching back when she noticed a familiar alien shuttle flying low up through the valley. It passed overhead as the water collectors and the playing kids stopped to wave at them and kept on flying, following the river to its source. She knew Five would be asking her about the situation soon after he arrived. She filled another five more jars when the shuttle landed by the road next to the tractor shed. She gave over her water jar duty to Angelique and went to see an alien man about a proverbial dog. She rolled her uniform shirt sleeves down and fastened them at her wrist again as she walked up the river bank. She met Five at the bridge and noticed straight away the frown on his face.

'Greetings, Val. Your river is being diverted away from your land. Does your Mayor father know what is taking place?' He shook her outstretch hand.

'Hi Five, Gary, Mo. Good to see you all again. Yes we are aware of what is happening to the river. And yes, George knows. How was your flight?' What she really wanted to know was if he had learned any more about what was happening to the valley community by the local government and if his people would help take the community in. But, as always with the alien people, polite protocol was strictly adhered to even out in the back end of nowhere.

'My flight was good, thank you. We managed to lift the ship up to 10 thousand meters to escape the storm that hit the region last night. You all fared well enough?' They moved slowly back across the bridge with Gary and Mo following close behind carrying a crate each. She was curious about the contents of their cargo but didn't pry. Five looked more composed since the last time she had seen him.

'Yes, we had a bit of rain and a lot of wind. The fields enjoyed the soaking.' She opened the door to the town hall and ushered him inside ahead of his guards. Sergeant Chan materialised out of nowhere, the first she'd seen of him since breakfast the day before. He nodded to her and followed Gary into the dark interior.

'Weren't keen to help with the water collection, Chan?' The lazy butt had probably gone into town to find his own supply.

'Busy,' was all he said before the community elders welcomed Five and his team back.

'Mr Laupshi'i, it is very good to see you again.' Val's father held out a hand for the alien to shake. They continued on with polite small talk and moved through to the chairs situated in front of the small stage. Melanie and Tatiana were busy pouring cups of coffee and tea and serving up a date slice for morning tea. Once everyone had found seats, and Gary and Mo had dropped their cargo and moved to the doors, the meeting got under way.