Chapter Nineteen

Headline: RELIEF TEAMS AND FOOD AID FLOWN TO MEXICO
Headline: PICCARD BEATS SANDERS TO WIN GRAND PRIX
Headline: FINAL ATTEMPT TO SAVE ANTARTICA'S ICE SHELF FAILS
Headline: SCIENTISTS LOOK TO OTHSHALI'I FOR RISING SEA SOLUTIONS
Headline: OTHSHALI'I TO BANQUET WITH MONTANO, POSSIBLE ALLIANCE?

By the time Valerie made it back to the group with boots and a pair of trousers on and her stun stick in hand, a group of roughly 20 men had got out of their cars and gathered in the car park. The Kauaeranga Valley residents stood in front of the bridge, guarding the entrance to their home. Armed with only garden tools, they looked a pitiful lot. Compared to the group of loggers and farm hands that faced them with machetes and blow torches, their chances didn't look too good. A younger guy stepped forward, he looked about 25 years old and much more well groomed than the rest.

'Its time to leave. Your lot have been nothing but a nuisance to our town and we've had enough.' His voice sounded rough, like he'd been smoking for years.

'What's your name, son?' George stepped forward to face their spokesman.

'None of your business, Sir.' he said with much disrespect. 'Just leave and no one will get hurt. We'll give you 10 minutes to get your women folk out and then, well, I hold no responsibility to what happens to them if they get in our way.' The sneers and vicious smiles of many of the faces in the mob sent a ripple of revolution down Val's spine. She kept her eyes on the leader as he spoke, but she felt plenty of eyes land on her as he spoke.

'We own this land and you have no jurisdiction here.'

'We don't care. We just come here to to do our bid to secure a future that suits us better than one with you lot living here.'

Parker stepped up beside George. 'You are in violation of our community charter and trespassing will see you all in jail. This is our home and we will not leave.'

'See, that's where you are wrong Hippyman.' The guy sneered. 'You can't hold your community here if all of your utilities are gone. Not a safe place to live. How will you water your stupid crops without water or keep your women warm in the winter?' The smile on his face was anything but humorous.

'Did Montano send you?' George folded his arms to keep from hitting the smirk off the guys face. Val had to follow suit because she wanted nothing more than to see it gone too.

'Wouldn't you like to know.'

The two groups stood a moment in silence then Five took a step forward but Val caught his arm. She shook her head but he moved on anyway. She sighed and stepped out into the open along side him.

'This community is under the protection of the Othshali'i race. Leave now and we will not retaliate.' He spoke loudly.

This caused many in the mob to shift nervously on the feet. One or two men moved away and got back into a car and drove off.

'Yeah, I was told you lot might say something like that, but you're lying. You see, I know from a reliable source that the Othshali'i leaders are in conference with the local business leaders, right as we speak.' He waved a hand around for dramatic flare. 'If they were under your protection, there would be a lot more than one little alien to protect them, now wouldn't there?'

Five's feathers shimmered with the threat and started to rise. Five moved so suddenly at the younger leader but Val was ready and caught his arm in time.

'Don't. You killing him won't help anyone.' Val spoke loud enough to scare more than just their leader but a moment later his fear turned into his trade mark sneer.

'You can't touch me. You do and you got yourself a whole lotta trouble.'

'You destroy this village and you got yourself an inter stella war.' Five's voice was harsh. He tried to shake Val's grip but she wouldn't let him go.