Chapter Twenty Three

Headline: SECURITY TIGHT AS LEADERS ARRIVE FOR KAUAERANGA PRESS CONFERENCE
Headline: NO FLY ZONE SURROUNDING COROMANDEL PENINSULAR
Headline: EARTH LEADERS AND THEIR SECURITY CAUSES TRAFFIC DELAYS
Headline: MEDIA BIAS AGAINST GROWER COMMUNITY EXPOSED
Headline: CALLS FOR MEDIA FIRST CEO TIM HOLLINGS TO RESIGN

'You are welcome here today to witness the treaty that has been established between Kauaeranga Valley Community and the People of Othshali'i. With this peace settlement between our two races and the establishment of the Kauaeranga Collective complex that you see being rebuilt behind us, we look forward to achieving great and many things.' Bouchi Lopen spoke clearly as he stood beside George Terrance in front of hundreds of national and foreign delegates. 'But it isn't without grief that we stand here before you today. Three evenings ago, our complex was attacked by a mob of people who destroyed all of our buildings and all of our crops. A bomb was detonated in a glass house facility destroying over three generations of heirloom plants and nearly killing three of our people.' A hush fell over the crowd as the weight of what Loben said hit them all. He paused for affect then turning to George. 'Mayor Terrance's own daughter was attacked and nearly murdered only moments after she saved two of our women from being raped and slaughtered by these same attackers. We lost everything on the ground and only by quick thinking of our security did we manage to save everyone.'

Val could see that they didn't believe him. The looks on the faces of the local leaders and the secret service men that surrounded the arena showed that they thought it unsubstantiated. George leaned into Loben and whispered in his ear. The Othshali'i leader nodded and stepped forward.

'It is with regret that we must withdraw our people and resources from around the planet, until we can be guaranteed that this will not take place again to any of our people or our partners.' He pulled out a remote and pressed his thumb to it, signally the screens to lift from their place behind the stage. Val knew what was being shown on the screen was a reconstruction of the footage that Simon took that fateful night. Those gathered at the conference paled and started shifting in their seats at the reality of what had taken place and the significance of it on relations with the alien race. Some managed to speak softly into communication devices that were permitted and Val guessed these were the reporters from the various news agencies that had been invited.

When the video came to an end the screens lowered. George stepped forward and addressed the crowd.

'The perpetrators of the attack left nothing behind for us to prosecute them with. We have no evidence to their identities and their whereabouts. Without the local law enforcement to help in this matter our hands are tied. If we are to ensure the safety of the Othshali'i and their families here on Earth, we must find those responsible and bring them to justice.' He stood back and nodded to Loben who stepped forward.

'It is with our deepest thanks that we now award our people's highest award for valour and courage in the face of enemy attack.' This caused a few murmurs in the crowd and a ripple of nervousness went up Val's spine. She stood there, hoping against all hopes that she wouldn't be singled out. Loben stepped aside to address both the stage and those gathered.

'For courage and fortitude in an enemy attack, we thank you, Mayor George Terrance.' He stepped towards George and bowed low. When he straightened up, two Othshali'i attendants stepped forward with what could only be described as a cloak of grey feathers.

'We award you our friendship and our trust.' The feather mantel was laid across his shoulders, much in the same way the local indigenous people would bestow on those in authority. George bowed in thanks and stepped up beside the Othshali'i leader.

'For courage and valour in an enemy attack, we thank you, Laupshi'i Flivve.' Five stepped forward and his leader and George bowed to him. He was given a similar cloak and Val found this peculiar, like they were mixing the local customs with the already feathered aliens.