-- 2 --

The click! of the front door could be heard from miles upon miles of our country home in Los Angeles. One of the screws busted a few months back, and ever since dad decided his work meant more than a house-wife and a two year old kid, we've been too lazy to fix it.

I took a once-over in the mirror, before deciding I looked presentable enough. It's time to make a good impression. You need this! 

I took a few calming breaths, trotting elegantly into the living room. Seated atop our white leathered couch was a woman I recognized seeing perhaps once or twice. Her dirty blonde hair was pulled back in a tight bun, with the occasional stray hair peeking out from behind. Her wired blue eyes took me in for all I've got, as did mine.

"Ah! So you're the famous Angela I've been hearing so much about." She rose from her seat, growing a few feet every few seconds until she towered a good five inches above my head. "I'm Rosie. It's so wonderful to meet you."

"Likewise." I grinned politely, letting myself sink down into a chair opposite the familiar face.

Mom stood errect, waggling her arms back and forth in an attempt to rub off her joy on some of us. "I'll get you guys some snacks."

"That'd be great." Rosie winked, earning a blush from my mom. How charming. "Anyways-- Getting straight to the point, I've recently been promoted by my supervisors and I'm taking on so much more work, I've started seeing wrinkles on my toes."

I wasn't sure if I should say 'I'm sorry about that' or 'All for money, right?'. So I went with the safer option. "Oh. Congratulations..."

"Yeah. Anyway, the pay would be 50 dollars per hour, along with an additional 25 if they're asleep before I get home. Does that sound like something you'd be interested in doing?" She sighed, assuming already that my answer would be negative.

"I'd like to meet them first, if that's okay." I scratched at a bite on the nape of my neck. "Oh and don't be discouraged so easily. We've barely just met, Mrs. Rider."

"Are you sure?" Her face contorted into that of a sad puppy, and she pawed at the side of her face with her fingers. "You don't just want to sign the contract and be payed upfront?"

I blinked. "What? No. I want to meet the kids. Why?"

She sighed deeply, just as Mom came stampeding back in, carrying two cups of overfilled milk and a plate of heavenly cookies.

"Is everything going swimmingly in here?" She chirped, tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"Mom," I shook my head, feeling my temper quickly grow short. "I told you. Nobody says that."

She gave me a cynical frown, before stumbling into the kitchen once more. The faucet water turned on, signalling that she's washing the dishes.

"It's just that..." Rosie began again, feeling for my hand. "Every hired help has quit on me so far. I was hoping you'd agree and that'd be all."

"Rosie, the chances of me saying no are pretty slim." I forced a laugh, filling up the space around us with my awkward banter. What else should I say? I tapped the pads of my fingers together, biting my lip in anxiety.

"Great!" Her demeanor changed, and she bubbled with cheerfulness once again. "Tomorrow! After school! I'll have someone pick you up. See you then!"

And with that, she marched out of my home, shutting the door behind her.

What... Just happened?

Did I just agree to go over to her house? To see these demons-- I mean, kids?