16.1 truth 1 lie

Alcohol is like magic, it can temporarily take away your problems. But like magic it also has its price. Alcohols price just happens to be a pounding headache and a burning stomach.
When I got up in the morning, mother natural called my name and I raced to the bathroom just in time to throw up in the toilet. Just as I thought one problem was gone came another, a headache.
I hopped in the shower wash away the booze and just the general disgustingness. I heard the front door as I pulled on a clean top.
"Jake!" I called out.
"In the kitchen. I brought coffee!"
"Oh my God you're a lifesaver!" I exclaimed taking the coffee from him. I gave him a peck on the cheeks and he jumped a little, startled.
"You okay?" I asked after a sip of coffee.
"Uh...yeah. Last night one of Dante's men dropped you off. You said he was on our side."

"Just don't tell anyone else okay? Osbourne is going to force him into testifying. And if Dante found out, he would kill Jack and his whole family."

"What about Jones?"

"Jones would never do it that. But in this mission he's my boss and I can't put him in a position to do the right thing or for me."

My phone vibrated on the coffee table. I picked it up and pressed the answer button.

"You're a very talkative drunk," Jack commented.

"Morning," I said. "Thanks for taking me home."

"No problem. Just don't make a habit of it."

"Do you have any intel?"

"I do. Capaldi sent his men, including me to get rid of all electronic and paper trails connecting him and Smith with sex trade or drug trafficking. Capaldi suspects after he left Smith took over his side jobs."

"So he eliminated the threat."

"Exactly."

"So what's the intel?"

"I couldn't get any concrete evidence before the second team came but I did get a name: Striptease. It used to be a front for Dante's sex trade. I don't think he owns it, anymore."

"Thanks Jack. I'll keep you in the loop."

"One more thing. Maria Andropova."

"That name doesn't ring a bell."

"She was smuggled in from Russia when she was 15. Back then Dante's father was running family business. Maria was Alessandra's mother."

"How does Paul know a prostitute? And how did you figure it out?"

"I heard one of the other bodyguards talk about a missing young blonde girl's mother working under Dante. How many missing young blondes do you know? Did Dante know Paul when they were teenagers?"

"I wouldn't know. Dante's dad and my dad are like business partners. So possibly."

I rubbed the bridge of my nose, exhausted. "Okay thanks Jack."

"Is everything okay?" Jake asked.

"No nothing's okay."

Progress on the case was slow. The Terry Price offices were silent. Everybody in the in the room looked tired. I picked up a marker from the table and went over to the windows where all our intel was spread out. Finding a blank space I scribbled Maria Andropova.

"Who's Maria?" Jones asked.

"Striptease," I said holding up the picture of the club. "This is strip club that Dante used as a font for his sex trade. Smith took over the business after Dante left. I guess Dante wanted the business back because he sent his men to wipe Smith's hard drive and kill Smith."

"Where did you get this intel?" Jones asked.

"I can't tell you guys. Just trust me on this. I can't get this person involved."

Jones gave a long stare then said, "Ross and Green go check out the club."

"Better have some ones man," Ross snickered to Green.

"Jones I'm going down to the district to grab the file on Alessandra."

Jones grabbed my arm, "I let you get away with a lot of things but you can't waltz in and out when you need to."

"There could be information linking her kidnapping to Dante that could help."

Jones sighed, "Tell me who Maria Andropova is?"

"I'll you when I get back."

"Osbourne go with Pearce," Jones said.

Jessica mumbled something under her breath but followed me out the door.

The desk sergeant at the district wasn't the most cheerful man. He was hunched over a sign in sheet and didn't seem to care to listen to us. "What was the girl's name?"
"For the third time it's Alessandra Katerina DeNiro!"
Jessica sighed out loud she reached over the desk and grabbed the sergeant tie and pulled down.
"We're not asking again!" she commanded. The man gulped then turned around and disappeared behind double doors.
"Can I help you ladies?" a male voice asked. He wore a leather jacket and boots. A detective's badge swung around his neck. He seemed a few years older than me.
"Ye-"
"No we just came to report a missing cell phone," I lied.
"Alright have a great day," he said.
"What gives?" Jessica asked.
"It's a possibility that Smith wasn't the only cop on Dante's payroll."
"Here's all we have," the sergeant said handing us box, with a fake smile on his face. "Is there anything else we can help you with?"
"Your face," Jessica said as I grabbed the box.
"I need to make a quick stop," I said starting up the car.
"Sure."
"Smith did a shitty investigation. No witness statement. Just photos from the assumed scene of kidnapping. Police reports and statements from your brother, father, mother and other brother. Bagged evidence of a charm bracelet and a cellphone."
"Their Alessandra's," I whispered.
"Pearce it's not my place to say but let Alessandra go. It's not your fault and you didn't know about Dante."
"She's my niece."
"I was obsessed with a case victim too. I paid the price. Do you think I switched to counter-terrorism because I wanted. My supervisor gave me an ultimatum: my badge or another unit. You're a good agent. Don't let it drag you down. Even if it's your niece."
I parked the car in the parking lot of the hospital. "Are you coming?" I hopped out of the car.
"No I'm ganna go over the file."
"Knock yourself out."
Will was grumpy from stuck at the hospital. I found him in his room watching soap operas. "Hey."
"Good to see a familiar face."
"You're watching telenovelas?"
"Shut up. So what are you doing here?"
I took a seat by Will's bed. "I need some advice."
"Shoot."
"My niece Alessandra's mother was 17 year old prostitute. Maria Andropova. She was smuggled in from Russia by Dante's father."
"So what are you saying?"
"My brother either knew or didn't know that she was a prostitute. Either way he's a suspect."
"But he's your brother."
"Exactly. How can I arrest him or bring him in for question?"
"In this line of work you have to draw a line between your personal life. Someone from your personal life can step into your work life and interfere. You have to be there to stop it."
"Are you telling me to bring my brother in for questioning?"
"Yes I am."
There was a long pause before I said something.
"Jessica said to let Alessandra go."
"The only reason you're holding onto her is because you blame yourself."
"Why does everyone keep saying that?"
"Because it's true. If your main objective of this case is to get back your niece this case isn't going anywhere. What were the first few rules your instructor at the academy said."
"Trust no one but your partner. Never get too involved. No matter how personal. Never blame yourself for a case going south."
"She isn't a case she's my niece."
"Who's been missing for 5 years. Everyone's time comes one day. This is that day."
A nurse came into the room to give Will his lunch and adjust his medicine doses. I told I'd see him later if I could."
"That took long," Jessica commented.
"If I'm willing to do anything to catch Dante. Will you help me?"
"Now you're talking like an agent."
"We have to make another stop."
Jessica groaned, "Now what?!"
"I need to arrest my brother."