39.Bloodstream

I thought I would be hallucinating but nothing happened. I stayed completely still as he pulled out the syringe. I realized I had also stopped breathing. I resumed breathing.

"What did you give her you son of a bitch!" Ross hit the arm of his chair.

Grant placed the syringe on the table and ignored Ross as he went through the tray on the table looking for something. I wiggled my fingers and toes, I still had sensation.

"Do you feel anything?" Ross asked.

"I feel...nothing," I replied. I felt nothing. My stomach was no longer sore and the slaps and punches I had received on my face weren't throbbing.

"Like hallucination nothing."

"I mean literally nothing. I feel no pain."

"It's a painkiller," Grant spoke up and returned in front of me with a few thin needle like objects in his hands. "Can't let you pass out. But it's also very effective for pain. You won't feel anything now but in about half an hour all that pain is ganna come rushing back all at once."

He pried one of my hands open from its fist formation. He straightened out my forefinger.

"Hey! Hey!" Ross demanded. "What are you doing?"

"Don't worry you'll have your turn," Grant turned to me. He gently, inched the thin needle under my nail, into my nail bed. A streak of blood spewed out.

A scream got stuck in my throat. It didn't hurt. I didn't feel the needle go in. Grant did three more fingers before looking up at me, to see any reaction, then proceeded to complete the hand.

I faced Ross. "I can't feel anything. It's fine."

"You have needles stuck in your fingers. You're not fine," Ross said. "Hang in there. Please."

"You should talk," Grant stepped back and examined his masterpiece.

"No," I replied. "We don't talk."

"Grant tell me you found something!" Dante's voice boomed. It'd been twenty minutes since my first painkiller and I still felt no pain. I jumped a little in my chair and my heart pulsated.

"They're tough but I only had them for 2 hours," Grant took another needle and stuck it into my left forefinger.

"They?" Dante entered the room, accompanied by his entourage of bodyguards. His face surprised when he saw me. "What are you doing?" He rushed to my side, pushing Grant out of the way.

"My job," Grant replied.

"She's my wife you fucking motherfucker!" Dante hissed at him. "I said FBI agents." Dante lifted my head up gently. "Oh my God. I'm so sorry."

"She is a FBI agent Boss," Grant tossed him my badge and Dante caught it. Dante's face went from gentle and loving to angry and murderous in a second.

"What's this?" Dante thrust the badge in my face.

"Surprise honey," I said to him.

His hand came out of nowhere and slapped me. My head snapped to the right but I still was still painless so I laughed in his face. "Hit me with your best shot!"

"You fucking asshole! Get away from her!" Ross growled. Dante flicked his attention at Ross then turned to Grant. "Who's he?"

"Agent Jared Ross," Grant read of the badge.

"So what did they give up?" Dante thundered.

"Nothing," Grant replied.

Dante snapped his fingers at two of his bodyguards. "Look through their things and see what you find."