24.Check

He didn't react. He looked down and picked at his sandwich.

"I'm guessing there are going to be conditions to starting over."
"You bet your ass."
"So let's hear them, then."
"You can't come over to my place unless I ask you over. No bringing any bodyguards over. No showing up at my workplace. And you have to find a way off my dad's will."
"Done."
"And if you leave. If I feel you slipping away. I'm not waiting and you're not coming back to me."
"I won't happen again. Never again."
"I'm warning you. I can live without you. I don't need a husband."

Dante let out a laugh, "You don't get married because you need a husband or wife. You get married to be with the one you love. You..."
"What?"
"Never mind. Forget it," he smiled at me, his eyes softened. "Were you...really...pregnant?"

I drew in a sharp breath.

"Well Miles did show the judge the proof."
"How? When did you find out?"
"After you left. I went to the doctor's because I was puking out my guts. They did a blood test and found out I was pregnant."

Lie.

"How long were you..."
"A little over a month."
"Wow. I mean...I...wow."
"Wow is right," I laughed. "I went a little overboard with baby shopping. I had toys, bibs, overalls, stuffies, pacifiers! I even had some names picked out!"

Lie.

"What names?"
"Alexander is it was a boy. And Danielle after your mom if it was girl."

Lie.

His smiled disappeared. He wasn't sad or mad. In fact he showed no emotion. Either I had struck a nerve or he actually liked the idea.

He cleared his throat and shook his head, "I should be heading back to work now."
"Yeah me too," I replied pulling my phone from my purse. No one had called in an hour and no wonder, my phone was switched off.

"How is the investigation going?" he asked as we stepped out of the cafe.
"I was just headed to the office now. I'll keep you posted. By the way how's your other bodyguard doing?"
"Fine, I'm assuming. I'm gave him some days off."
"Look at you being all human."
"Say what you want but your words don't hurt me as much you hoped it would."
"I'm just not trying hard enough.
Dante's SUV pulled up at the curb. He turned to me, "If you're not busy tomorrow night, how about dinner? At the mansion. You can bring Max."

"I'll have to see but I'll let you know."

He leaned in, I thought for a moment to kiss my lips but pressed his lips against the side of my head. I didn't flinch. It wasn't a romantic kiss, sort of 'I'll see you later' sort of a thing.

Ross called me as I crossed the street. Dante's SUV had disappeared down the street. "When are you and Jake coming in?"
"What?"
"Your lunch I thought you two would be done by now. Unless you're getting lucky."
"Shu..." I stopped in my tracks. "Shit! Shit! Shit!"
"Pearce? What's wrong?!"
"SHIT!"
"Don't tell...you forgot..."

I scrambled for my car keys as I walked to where my car was parked. I pressed the button and the car beeped. I hoped in and started up the car. I was in front of the restaurant in 20 minutes. Jake was standing outside. He was my car pull up. I got out smoothed out my dress and put on my brightest smile.

"Jake! You will not believe-"

I stopped myself. This wasn't just any random. This was Jake. He was smart, he was patient and most of all he could see through my bullshit.

"I'm not going to lie to you. I respect you too much for that," I told him.

He laughed in a sarcastic way, "Let's hear it, then. Your excuse."
"I was. I had lunch with...Dante."
He threw up his hands, "How do you expect me to compete with that?!"
"I don't want you to compete!"
"Really. Then what? I had plans with you and you decided to go to lunch with him!"
"You know what you were right."
"Right about what?"
"About this. This would never work out. I'm on a case and you'd just be a distraction."
"Yeah you're probably right."
"I'm headed to work. I'll give you a ride."