Chapter 6

(Picture of who I imagine as Nate on the side)

Chapter 6    

I spent the rest of the week hanging out with the guys. I avoided being in the same room with Layton and Zev together. My nerves wouldn’t be able to handle another confrontation between the pair. My classes were going really well, even though Layton was still following me around everywhere.

By Thursday, I had made friends with Liz and Maya from my History class. They were my only two girl friends in the school, so it felt like a big accomplishment.

I ate lunch with Layton and his friends on Wednesday and Thursday. Even when I tried to walk away, Jared and Nick insisted that I eat with them. Layton had been quiet, like he usually was, but he was friendlier than before.

Zev was absent to school those two days. I worried at first, because Micah and Nate didn’t want to tell me where he was. By Thursday afternoon, I had let it go. Zev seemed like the type of person who didn’t care about missing school.

Before I knew it, Friday came along. I had been looking forward to the weekend and I really wanted a break from school.

I had sneaked in a call to my friends from back home the day the before. I ended the call feeling depressed. I was homesick and I missed the life I had in the city. It seemed unfair that I had to give up my life because I couldn’t afford to accidentally expose myself.

I got two training sessions during the week. Even though I didn’t give my dad any specifics, I warned him that I was getting rusty. My words were enough to worry him, I couldn’t risk being unprepared.

I arrived to school twenty minutes before the bell. Since it was still early, I managed to grab a space near campus, and that was enough to cheer me up. I was surprised when I saw Zev’s car swiftly park in the empty space next to me.

I couldn’t help but grin when he stepped out of his car. It hit me that I had really missed him those two days he’d been gone.

After locking his car, he made his way towards me.

“Where the heck have you been?” I asked, punching his arm playfully.

He gave me a mischievous grin that told me he had been up to no good.

“If I told you, you wouldn’t believe me,” Zev said, his grin growing wider if possible.

I squinted my eyes and looked at him suspiciously. Zev chuckled, probably at my expression, and shook his head.

I was really curious to know what he had been up to, so I went for ‘Plan B’. I pouted my lower lip and crossed my arms, giving him my best pleading look.

“Aww… you look so cute,” he said, pinching my cheeks.

The chuckle that escaped my lips ruined the serious face I was trying to keep, so I shoved him away. Zev wasn’t even affected by my push.

“Fine, don’t tell me. I guess I won’t tell you what you missed in PE,” I said.

Nothing happened in PE, as usual, but he didn’t need to know that.

“C’mon. You’re not going to tell me about all the exciting things we did in PE?” Zev asked sarcastically.

“Whatever,” I retorted.  

I began walking away from him, pretending to be mad so that he would tell me where he’d been.

“Princess, don’t be mad at me. If you want, I’ll tell you where I was.”