Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Liam’s lips barely grazed mine. He was trying to intensify the kiss, and I felt it with how much his hold tightened around my waist.

The moment that it registered in my mind— what I was doing— a sharp pain formed in my chest, and it shot throughout my body.

As fast as I could manage, I put my hands on his chest and shoved him away from me. I tried taking a step back, but Liam wasn’t letting me go.

The pain slowly dissipated as soon as our kiss broke apart, and I took a sharp breath.

Liam was trying to kiss me again. His hand was behind my head, trying to get me to face him. I was about to push him away with my mind, but when I turned to the side, I saw Layton standing there— staring at us.

The look on his face scared me.

He approached us soon enough and roughly yanked me from Liam’s hold. I landed on the ground, full-force.

Layton had the key to Liam’s cell. His hands swiftly moved, as he unlocked the cell and let himself in. I was still on the ground, watching the scene in front of me unfold.

Layton grabbed Liam by the collar of his shirt, and started repeatedly slamming Liam’s head on the ground.

A human would have been dead by how bad Liam was getting hurt. Instead, he was staring at Layton, trying to fight him back.

‘Please, don’t kill him,’ I kept repeated in my mind.  I knew Layton would be able to hear me, but I wasn’t sure if he would care enough to stop.

The moment his head snapped in my direction, I knew he had heard. The way his deadly stare focused on me, it made me fear for not only Liam, but for myself.

Liam took the moment Layton got distracted, to shuffle out from under him. He ran to the other end of the cell, but Layton made no attempt to run after him.

“What? You’re scared now that you don’t have all the control?” Liam said, his voice sounding bitter.

Layton hadn’t said one word since he entered the room. He didn’t reply anything to Liam’s comment either.

“Liam, stop,” I said, getting up from the floor and taking a few steps toward the cell they were both in.

Liam turned to stare at me when I said that, but I could tell he was still guarded. Layton turned his gaze to me after I spoke.

The way his dark eyes looked, scrutinizing me as I stood there, it almost made me falter.

“If I kill him, we can be together,” Liam said. He didn’t sound like himself when he said that. Liam was trying to tease Layton with that comment, and it had worked.

Layton threw himself at Liam and once again started attacking him. His punches were so fast against Liam’s stomach, I had to look away. I flinched when I heard his knuckles make contact with Liam’s body.

It was almost like if Liam wanted Layton to kill him.

When I looked up once again, I saw Liam landing a punch on Layton’s face. Layton wasn’t even affected and he continued to fight Liam.

I didn’t know what to do. It was obvious Liam had problems. But he didn’t really hurt anyone. In any case, I had started their fight by allowing him to kiss me.

The moment that thought entered my mind, the guilt started to eat at me. I shouldn’t have insisted on going to visit him.

Instead of fixing anything, I created more problems.