Blood's Thicker Than Water

Ughn.

That was the word that best described my mood at that very moment. I was tired, cranky, and very much in need of coffee. But no, I couldn't just pull over to some motel and sleep for a day. I had somewhere to be.

I didn't want to go, and I would much rather stay in Miami, where I had recently been residing, but apparently my assistance was required. I hadn't expected the call from my twin brother, Stefan. I hadn't spoken to him in about ten years. It wasn't that I was avoiding him, I just hadn't bothered to contact him.

The drive from Miami to Mystic Falls was not a pleasant one. I hadn't slept in twenty-four hours. I was just about to go to sleep when Stefan called, telling me that he urgently needed my help. Me, being the wonderful sister I am, left straight away, packing a few bags and hitting the road.

I was not a happy person when I arrived at the Salvatore boarding house on Wednesday afternoon. I knocked on the door, a scowl on my face. Stefan answered, smiling when he saw me.

"You came," he sighed with relief.

"You suck," I glared. Stefan laughed at me and gestured for me to follow him inside. "This better be good, Stef. I missed an episode of Suits for this."

"Trust me, I wouldn't have called if it wasn't important," he reassured me.

It had been over fifty years since I'd stepped foot in the boarding house. Last time I was here, our older brother Damon had decided that it would be fun to eat our descendent Joseph Salvatore, which then resulted in the Founders Council hunting for vampires.

I didn't have many fond memories of this town.

I was met with a surprise when I entered the living room. Sitting down on the couch was an anxious looking girl, who regarded me with a cross between intimidation and determination. The thing that was surprising was that she was the exact replica of Katherine Pierce, the vampire that my brothers had fallen for back in the day.

It couldn't have been Katherine though. Katherine held herself with an air of confidence, and always had a knowing smirk. This girl was the opposite. I tilted my head, watching her with curiosity.

"Interesting," I murmured.

Stefan automatically jumped to conclusions. "It's not what you think. She's not Katherine."

"I know," I said, not taking my eyes off the girl. "So it's true then. There's a new Doppelganger."

Stefan frowned at me. "How did you know that?"

"I hear things," I shrugged.

"This is Elena," Stefan introduced.

I watched Stefan walk over to the couch and sit by the girl and take her hand. I eyed their entwined hands with a bitter smirk. "Mmm. That won't end well."

"Amelia," Stefan warned, shooting me a glare.

I rolled my eyes, looking at the girl, the smirk still on my face. "Amelia Salvatore. Pleasure."

Elena cleared her throat awkwardly, obviously uncomfortable at my statement. "It's nice to meet you."

I was about to ask Stefan why he had requested my presence, but I was interrupted by somebody else entering the room. Damon looked the same as he had twenty years ago, though his hair was a little different. He had his usual arrogant smirk in place, his blue eyes dancing with amusement as he saw me.

"Well, well, look what the cat dragged in," he commented. "Didn't expect to see you for at least another thirty years."

"Had I've known you were going to be here, I wouldn't have come," I retorted.