A Mother's Love

I was having a fairly normal morning. I'd woken up, showered, gotten dressed, and even restrained from killing someone. One thing I hadn't been expecting, however, was what I saw when I was pouring my morning whiskey in the living room.

Damon entered the room, his shirt unbuttoned casually and his hair messy from sleep. He wasn't alone, though. Rebekah, of all people, was with him. Wearing the same dress she'd worn to the ball last night.

Talk about scandal.

I arched an eyebrow at Damon, and he responded with a shrug as he walked Rebekah to the door. I stared after them, not knowing how I should react to this. That wasn't even the best part though. No, the best part was when Rebekah opened the door and Elena was standing there, about to knock.

An awkward silence came between the three and Elena's eyes widened in shock as she put the pieces together in her head. I, on the other hand, didn't hide my amusement at all when I started laughing at the situation. Serves Elena right, the annoying little brat. With a pleasant smile, Rebekah left the boarding house.

I was still laughing when Damon casually strolled back into the living room, Elena on his heels with an incredulous look on her face.

"Did you stop taking vervain?" Elena asked Damon.

Damon snorted. "You think Rebekah had to compel me?"

"What's wrong with you?" Elena exclaimed. "She tried to kill me less than forty-eight hours ago!"

"Shame she didn't succeed," I muttered, taking a mouthful of my whiskey. 

"So this is how it's going to be now?" Elena continued, ignoring my comment. "I hurt your feelings and this is how you lash out at me?"

"Maybe for once, somthing I did had nothing to do with you," Damon suggested.

I grinned, proud of my brother's attitude. I mean, sure, it was a little weird that he and Rebekah had done the dirty, but it was totally worth it for the look on Elena's face.

"Well, as much as I'm enjoying this, I have somewhere to be," I announced. I downed the rest of my drink and patted Damon on the shoulder as I passed him, laughing once again at Elena.

-

After finding myself the perfect snack for lunch, who tasted delicious by the way, I headed to the Grill for a drink of a different kind. I compelled the bartender, who was more than happy to provide me with an unlimited amount of scotch.

It was busy for a Sunday, and families and friends all decided that now would be the perfect time to get lunch. I ignored them all, focusing solely on my alcohol. I enjoyed my own company from time to time. I mean, I was hilarious, for one.

Apparently I wasn't going to have my way after all, as someone decided that it would be a really good idea to join me. I resisted the urge to sigh and kept my focus on my drink, which I downed the remains of.

"And why would someone as pretty as yourself be drinking alone?"

I glanced to my left, only to find Kol smirking at me.

"I find that most people aren't worth my time," I replied.

I made sure none of the bartenders were looking and reached over the bar, picking up the bottle of scotch that had been left there.

Kol's smirk widened as I poured myself another glass.

"Surely there are some exceptions to that," he commented.

"Like yourself, perhaps?" I countered, arching an eyebrow.

"One can only help but wonder," Kol shrugged.