A Blast From The Past

I was enjoying my day, which was unusual, considering I was in a town I didn't particularly like, surrounded by people that I definitely didn't like. The only exception was probably Matt, who was currently collecting the empty glasses off the vacant tables in the Grill. 

Thankfully, I'd managed to get a corner booth to myself, where I was reading a book as I occasionally sipped on my glass of bourbon. One would think that it would be rude to interrupt someone while they were reading, but apparently the people in this town couldn't even grasp that concept. 

When I looked up to glare at the blonde sitting in front of me, I was met with a cheerful smile. 

"Caroline," I stated evenly.

"Hi," she replied in a friendly tone. I could sense the wariness in her eyes, which only increased when I didn't reply. "Uh, Stefan told me you were back in town. I thought I'd come say hello."

"Did you now?" I asked, tilting my head. "And why is that?"

Caroline pursed her lips with determination.

"Look, I know you're probably still angry with me-"

"I'm more irritated that you interrupted my book than anything."

"- but I just want you to know that I'm sorry," Caroline continued. "I thought I was doing the right thing to help bring down Klaus, but it was wrong to go behind your back and trick you like that."

I observed the girl curiously.

"Why do you want my forgiveness, Caroline?" I asked. 

The blonde frowned, confused. "I don't understand."

"I'm not a nice person. In fact, most would consider me a horrible person, as they should. I've come close to killing your best friends countless times, I turned Bonnie's mother into a vampire, I killed Jeremy, albeit temporarily, and I have generally brought mayhem to you and your friend's lives," I listed. I put the book down and rested my elbows on the table. "Yet here you sit, asking for my forgiveness."

Caroline had obviously not expected for those words to come out of my mouth, so it took her a moment to respond to what I had said.

"While that all may be true," she began slowly. "You've forgotten to mention all of the good you've done." I snorted at her words. "I'm serious!" she claimed. "You helped me when we were kidnapped by werewolves, you saved Matt's life, you stopped Esther from killing the Originals, which literally saved the entire vampire race..." She trailed off with a sigh. "Despite what you think, Amelia, you have good in you."

"Not nearly enough to outweigh the bad," I said. "And it still doesn't explain why you're apologising."

"Because I want to be your friend," Caroline stated.

"Most people do," I shrugged. 

"And yes, you've done some bad things," she continued. "But we were friends before, and I miss that."

I finished the last of my drink and exhaled deeply, contemplating how to handle this situation. I was perfectly content with going on my way and not being friends with Caroline Forbes. Caroline, on her part, wasn't as annoying as a lot of the people in this town. She was spontaneously chipper, which I usually found incredibly irritating, but she didn't cause nearly as many problems as her friends did. A couple of months ago, I would have been caught up by the sentiment of how Caroline reminded me of Lexi, but my humanity wasn't what it had been back then.

I sighed and set my empty glass on the table.

"I came back to this town to make sure you people didn't do something stupid, again, and get me killed," I told her. "I made the mistake of allowing my humanity to get the better of me when the first time around, and that won't happen again. The only reason I haven't killed you and your friends is because of the sentimental value you have to my brothers, but let me make myself clear." I leaned forwards, keeping my expression calm. "If any of you get in my way, or cause any problems, I won't blink before ripping your hearts out."