Maybe It's A Metaphor

"Well, don't you look chipper."

Stefan looked anything but chipper when I walked into the basement of the Witch House to find him frowning at the coffin that refused to be opened. He sighed and turned to me, just in time to catch a brown paper bag that I threw at him.

"I brought bagels," I announced. "Bagels make everything better."

"What would make things better, is if we could figure out how to get this coffin open," Stefan said, taking a bite of his bagel anyway.

"Look, things will be easier now that Klaus' hybrids are gone," I pointed out. "No more visits from Klaus' furry little friends will give us enough time to figure out how to get it open before Klaus finds the coffins."

"Speaking of, how do we know Klaus actually got rid of them?" Stefan asked.

"I think me nearly killing Elena proved that we weren't messing around," I stated. "But anyway, I'm not here to stay. Just came by to check in on things and make sure you get a nutritional breakfast."

Stefan gave me a flat look. "I'll call you later."

"Love you, bro."

-

The sun was shining brightly when I cut across the street from the Grill to the Town Square. Joggers ran through the park, and other people were walking dogs. It was all too cheerful for me. It was rather cold today, and the only thing keeping my hands warm was the Styrofoam cup filled with coffee in my hand.

I was actually enjoying my morning, which was strange, considering I hated mornings. But just as I was considering sticking my foot out to trip a jogger, someone fell into step beside me, causing my mood to plummet.

"Klaus, just who I didn't want to talk to," I said.

Klaus chuckled. "Come on, sweet heart. No need to be so bitter."

"Sure there is," I shrugged. "I don't like you."

"We both know that's not quite true," he smirked. "But that's not why I'm here."

"Oh, you mean you didn't ruin my morning just to annoy me?" I asked, frowning. "I never would have guessed."

"I believe you have something of mine," Klaus stated.

"Do I?" I asked. "I'm not sure I do."

"You know, as entertaining as these little games of yours have been, they're getting rather annoying," Klaus announced. "I want my coffins back."

"Hmm... nah."

Klaus grabbed my arm, causing me to a stop as he pulled me to face him.

"We had a deal," he said, all casualties gone.

"Did we?" I asked. "Because I don't recall ever telling you that I would actually give you the coffins back." Klaus' expression turned cold, and had I been anyone else, I would have been terrified. Instead, I smiled widely. "You have yourself a wonderful day, Klaus."

With that, I continued on my way.

-

"Little early for day drinking, don't you think?"

Damon looked up at me from where he was pouring himself a drink in the parlour of the boarding house.

"Didn't you already leave?" Damon asked, annoyed.

"Wow, Damon. It almost seems as if you don't want me here," I stated sarcastically.

"I'm pissed at you," he scowled. "You almost killed Elena last night."