Managing Boys (27)

When I confronted Sawyer about what he had done to Zoey, he was very apologetic. But I was expecting as much from him.

"I really am sorry," he said when I told him how stupid he had been when it was just the two of us before school. "I never meant to hurt her. That was the last thing I wanted. I just... wasn't thinking."

"Obviously," I snorted, shaking my head at. "All you were thinking about was being with Mae."

He stared down at his feet. He didn't know what else he was supposed to say. He knew I was mad at him for hurting my best friend, and I didn't know if I'd ever be able to forgive him for what he did to her. I definitely couldn't until she forgave him, and I didn't even know if that was possible.

"Mae's the only girl I've ever genuinely cared for," Sawyer confessed, seeming embarrassed over this. "Well, except for my ex-girlfriend Tayla. But she broke up with me for some guy named River."

I let out a sigh. "I understand how you feel, Sawyer," I told him. "But that doesn't mean you can just go around and play with a girl's feelings! Even if you didn't want to hurt her. What you did was wrong."

He frowned. "I know."

Silence then washed over us, and I didn't like it. Was he going to walk away first, or was I going to have to? We had the same class next, but I didn't think it'd be a very good idea to walk together.

"What about you?" he suddenly asked.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"What's going on between you and Grim?" he specified, and I felt the breath catch in my throat. "I know something happened between the two of you. You won't even look at each other anymore. Well, you won't look at Grim. He still watches you an awful lot."

This made my cheeks burn, but I ignored this. I didn't want him thinking that anything had happened between Grim and me.

"Nothing happened." I shrugged, and I really wished that I was a better actress. "I don't think we're acting any differently than how we usually do."

Sawyer raised an eyebrow. "You didn't have sex with him, did you?"

I let out a fit of coughs before answering with, "No! Of course I didn't!"

"I was just wondering," he told me, raising his hands in front of him in case I decided to hit him. "I mean, it would have made sense. If you had sex with him and then regretted it, it would explain why you never look at him and he always watches you."

I didn't want to think about Grim watching me when I wasn't looking. It was weird. "Nothing happened," I continued to lie. I couldn't tell him the truth.

The bell then rang, meaning we had to go to class. I no longer wanted to talk about either Sawyer's predicament with Zoey or Grim. It was over with.

At lunch, Parker and I didn't sit with the boys of Hello Aria. We hadn't since the day of the press conference. Ash didn't think much of it, considering we couldn't let anyone know that we were actually dating anyway. Ben and Sawyer both seemed to know that something was up. Grim knew exactly why I wasn't going anywhere near them.

It was hard enough when I had to be around him as a professional. I couldn't deal with him at school, too.

Rumors went around that Grim and I had supposedly broken up, but we both refused to address them. It really wasn't anyone's business what was going on between any of us.

But being their manager was even more difficult. I had so many things I had to do, and I was overwhelmed. I took naps whenever I got the chance to, but that wasn't very often.