Managing Boys (3)

"Mom!" Sophie shouted the second we entered the house once we got home from the concert. "Mom, Mom, Mom! Guess what! Guess what! You'll never believe it!"

Our mother came rushing downstairs, looking like the house was on fire. When she saw the overexcited Sophie and the less-than-amused me, she calmed down just a little bit.

"What's going on, girls?" she asked, pulling at her bathrobe.

"Aria got a job!" Sophie squealed, and this only made my mother look at her as if she was insane. "And not just any job! She has a job as the babysitter of Hello Aria!"

My mother stared at Sophie for a moment before looking over at me. "How old are these boys?"

I shrugged, still not enthused. "I don't know; my age?"

My mother now looked at me as if I was crazy as well. "And you're... babysitting them?"

"Long story short, I'm going to get a lot of money," I shrugged, waving it away as I headed toward the stairs so I could go to bed. "I'll explain it more tomorrow. I think I've had enough excitement for one night."

My mother blinked at me, but let me go. "Well, you don't look very excited, but okay..."

"Do you think it's too late to call Dad and tell him?" Sophie asked my mother as I made my way up the stairs, and I already knew the answer was yes. "I want everyone to know that my sister is going to get to see Hello Aria almost every single day!"

The thought made my head hurt.

Since my parents were divorced, Sophie and I stayed with our father on the weekends, even though this weekend we were staying with our mother since her house was closer to where the concert was taking place. I didn't know how he'd react to finding out I was going to be babysitting four teenage boys, and I honestly didn't want to know how he'd react just yet.

I quickly changed into pajamas and crawled into bed, almost convinced that when I woke up, this would all be a dream. But no matter how much I wished that it was, that was definitely not going to happen.

As I walked onto campus on Monday morning, I noticed the excited glances almost every girl was shooting me. At first I didn't understand what they were staring at me for, but it didn't take too long to realize what this was all about.

"Zoey," I snapped when I got to her locker. Not surprisingly, Parker was already there with her. "Did you happen to tell anyone what happened on Saturday?"

Zoey blinked at me. "No, I didn't. I kind of assumed that you wouldn't want anyone to know."

I looked over at my male best friend now. "Parker?"

"Why would you think I'd do something like that?"

I guess he was right. But if neither of them had told anyone about my job, then who could have possibly done it?

"Aria!" a new voice now giggled, and I immediately knew who the culprit was. I turned around to see my fifteen-year-old sister smiling up at me, her posse of friends right behind her. I already knew what was coming. "Can you tell everyone how your first day of work goes?"

I immediately regretted telling her that Annabelle had called me on Sunday and we decided that today would by my first day of work. This was probably something that Sophie and her friends were going to gush about for a long time, and I knew that it was going to be really annoying. Even more than usual.

"Sure, Sophie," I sighed, hoping that none of them would notice that my eye had twitched. "I'll tell you all about it."

If I even lived through it.