11. Moves & Countermoves

"Nana!"

"Oh my baby girl, my little princess - my light," I cry in utter relief as I watch Celairiel run to me. She weaves through the pillars that lead out to the little rock garden in the servants' quarters, and leaps into my waiting arms.

"Nana, why will they not let you come home?" She cries and burrows her face into my neck, her arms turning into a vice like grip around my shoulders; "Why is Legolas not allowed to come with me?"

"I don't know honey, I really don't know," I sob painfully as I crumple to the ground with her, and kiss her crown. "But I will not allow it, Legolas will join us soon. I promise you that!"

"They would not let me go to him Nana," Celairiel tells me with wide betrayed eyes; "They said he was to be guarded because he was to be King someday...but Nana they are wrong. I told them so; I told them Ada was to be King. I pushed them away, and I kicked them when they tried to stop me from seeing my brother. I told them Ada would hurt them if they stopped me. I told them when Ada came home he would send them away...but Nana they just laughed!"

"Who did this?" I demand, and grip her small shoulders tightly; "Who said these things to you sweetheart?"

"The elf from the council, the one who is sour faced, and the elleth Tithemes," Celairiel tells me confidently, and I quickly ascertain that she speaks of Galour and his wife. "Nana they have moved into our home, the lady came with her maids. She tried on your jewellery. I tried to stop her, I bit her and pulled her hair, but she sent me away with Ellie...so Ellie brought me here. Nana I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt her - well I did - but she shouldn't touch what doesn't belong to her."

My hand quickly flies to my throat, and I gasp when I realise the set of gems that Thranduil gave me is not there. I had taken them off and set them by my bedside to bathe.

That BITCH has my necklace! That tramp! Ohhh, HOW DARE SHE?

"Nana...please don't be mad at me," Celairiel's soft little voice pulls me away from my murderous thoughts, and I quickly refocus and redirect my attention. Also, infinitely glad that I didn't launch into a tirade of swear words in front of my easily influenced child, as she peers up at me with questioning eyes tinged with a hint of dulled anger.

"No, I'm not mad," I reply calmly, and smooth her hair from her face. "Although darlin', I think we need to work on your temper. Kicking and biting is fine in this instance, but promise me you won't make it a habit? Little Princesses should be well behaved, and polite, even if they are angry."

"I promise," She chirps, and supresses a wry smirk, as I do the same.

"Why don't you go and find my old charcoals, I think Ollie still has them kept in the chest in my old room." I command my pacified daughter; "We can draw something nice for Legolas - to give to him when we see him again."

"Okay," She agrees and stands with me, eyeing me cautiously; "But what are you going to do about that lady in our house?"

"I'm going to throw her out and send her to the dungeons," I reply sharply and Celairiel grins darkly.

"Good! I don't like her, and Ada will send them faraway when he comes home," My daughter gives a confident bob of her head, before she skips off to find my old art supplies, and I stride back into the lounge to decipher this news.

"They have moved into my quarters...is this some kind of joke?" I roar as I stampede with all the ferocity of an enraged bull into the living room. Ollie is the first to my side with her arms crossed, glaring accusingly at both Elbes and Calanon.

"No...and yes," Elbes stutters and tugs at her sleeve; "We couldn't stop them; they said it was there right to acquire the assets - to ensure nothing was stolen. They tried to make it out they were taking everything into safekeeping, but my lady I do not believe them. The elleth - his wife - she lifted the jewels the Prince gave you. Your daughter saw her, Celairiel was wild and wicked with the lady, and we had to haul her away. But, I do not blame the child; it was most distressing for her."