Chapter 2

"Everything's wrong! Can I come in?" Anna asked, wring her hands. 

I nodded. “Of course, everything’s wrong. We’re still here instead of in Franklin.” I squealed.

"Good you have power. Do you have any cold drinks?" She walked toward the refrigerator ignoring me.

"Sure. Help yourself." I replied. I watched her open mom's favorite soda and drain it in a few minutes. "Calm down and tell me. What's wrong?"

She held up a finger, indicting just a minute, as she let the last few drops slide into her open waiting mouth. "The apocalypse is here."

Drama. Girls and friends always came with drama. "I'm pretty sure I'd know if the apocalypse had begun. I'll be with Jesus." When she didn't respond, I asked, "Why did you think the apocalypse has begun?"

"Can't reach anyone anywhere!" She walked over and sank onto our chocolate brown sofa.

"Phones are just down, like the Mayday Floods of 2010." I explained. They were some of my scariest childhood memories.

"Yeah, well, how do you explain the time problem?"

"What time problem?" My right eyebrow rose as my left dropped.

"What time do you think it is?"

I turned my phone on."2:13 but it’s been acting funny all day." Fifteen minutes to my appointment at Lavina’s. Maybe if we left now, my hands shook, I would only be a few minutes late.

"Wrong! 4:26!" Anna said, wringing her hands again. I sank into the cream colored oversized chair across from her.

"What makes you think that?" I asked chewing on my pinky nail again. I was determined not to break it. How could it be that late? Surely, I would have noticed. I missed my appointment at Lavina’s. Tears threatened.

"In every clock that doesn’t get it’s time from a network source, like my battery operated house and car clocks, the time is exactly double. Somehow they slowed time by 50%."

“Who did?” Did I really care? Maybe all wasn’t lost as I ran my hand down my long blond strands. While it wouldn’t be professional, Marcella created a mean braid and it would look a lot better than it did now

“The aliens!”