Chapter 12

Chapter 12

On the return trip, sniffles were our on again and off again companion, each of us taking turns. I placed one foot in front of the other, sheer determination the only thing keeping me on my feet. I wanted to curl into a ball again and scream like last night. But that wouldn’t accomplish anything.

            After crossing the bridge, Anthony motioned us over into the tall grass along the edge of the road. I was glad one of us was paying attention. We treaded carefully trying not to leave any bent or broken brush to indicate where we were hiding.

            Crouching down into the grass, Anthony whispered, “I thought I heard voices.”

            Five minutes later, we whispered argued. I wanted to leave. Anthony felt sure he’d heard voices. A few seconds later, a forty something couple, ambled toward us from the west. I peeked through the tall stalks. I thought I recognized them.

            I stood up, when they were about even with us. Darris tugged at my arm trying to force me back into our hiding spot. “Mr. and Mrs. Lambert?”

            The lady screamed, high pitched and ear splitting. After her initial start, she said, “Oh, my!” She placed her hand over her heart. “Don’t rob us, please! We are on way to our son’s. Please!”

            “Of course not,” I said, nodding to my companions as they stood.

            “Mazie?” Mr. Lambert said, “Mazie Andersen, from church?”

            I nodded, “What are you doing out here?” Thank you, God, for sending fellow believers across my path. I’m not alone. I was right. This isn’t the biblical apocalypse.

            “Heading across the state to find our son,” Mr. Lambert said.

            “Why? The cities are gone,” I blurted. Anna elbowed me.

            Mrs. Lambert looked at us, “Why you’re nothing but kids?”

            Anthony puffed us his chest. “I’m in college, ma’am.” He hesitated. “You already seem to know about Franklin?”

            “Yeah, neighbors and friends of ours hiked out at the crack of dawn. Mazie, if you need anything, visit the Renfro’s, two houses down from ours, thirty somethings, with a lot of know-how. Make sure you tell them you know us from church. Or your welcome may not be friendly,” Mr. Lambert said, holding out his hand to shake all of ours.

            “Thank you, Mr. Lambert.” I shook his hand.

            “We have a lot of ground to cover on our way to the outskirts of Knoxville. Pray for us and we’ll pray for you,” Mrs. Lambert said.

            “Won’t your son come looking for you?” I asked.

            “No, the babies only a few days old, but thank God, they’re home from the hospital.” She shivered. “Or it would be much worse.”

            “Oh! . . . Have a safe trip,” I said. Mrs. Lambert rushed over and gave me a hug.

© 2013 Kim Izzy