Chapter 6

The crows seemed driven to act crazy by the electronic field. When we came to an overgrown driveway, Darris turned to follow it, heading for the road.

"Hoping to make better time and get away from them." Breathlessly, Darris yelled over his shoulder of the arm with which he was dragging me. I dragged Anna.  

Over Anna’s head, I saw Anthony falling back. The crows converged on him. Were the birds attracted to the scent of burning human hair? Anthony had taken a good shock when he had touched the foggy electric wall. Or was Anthony trying to give us a head start? 

Darris yelled over my head, "Anthony, run. Catch up with us. You have nothing to fight with. You saw what they did to the injure cow."

Anthony ran to the edge of the cornfield yanking several cornstalks out of the ground. He swung them at the diving crows, while we climb through the ditch up onto the road that had brought us to edge of our nightmares. Anthony connected with a couple of the birds. They tumbled across the sky crashing into the waiting cornstalks as I watched waiting for my turn.

The dome for the lack of a better description was to our left, home to our right. Maybe I, too, am letting popular TV science fiction influence me. I have never seen nor heard of anyone in real life having an electronic force shield. But all of Franklin, at least this side of it, was trapped behind it. Whatever “it” was!

Where was the military? Ft. Campbell was only a couple of hours away. Where were the Blackhawk Helicopters that flew between Ft. Campbell and Florida? Their sound echoed throughout the Natchez Trace valley on Hwy 96. 

The crows gave up, flying in the direction of the dome and getting back to their snack. Anthony limped as we waited for him to catch up with us on the road.

"Where to now, Bro?" Darris asked Anthony.

“Why isn’t the news reporting on something this big?” Anthony asked.

No one had an answer for him.

“We need to find what’s going on!” Anthony said.

Anna said, "We have my car at your place. Let's just be more careful. I don't want to have to explain to my mom why I crash my car into a line of abandoned cars like you do." 

© 2013 Kim Izzy