Chapter 8

Chapter 8

As the darkness grew, Anna said, “I need to go home to my granny, but would you guys let us stay with you at your place until we figure out what’s happening? Please?”

Anthony said, “I think it best if we stay together at our place. It’s big enough. We haven’t seen very many other people.”

“I need to go home and get our dog and a few things.” I said.

“Anna, do you feel like running the errands? There are a few things that Darris and I need to get ready here.” Anthony said.

“Yeah, sure.” Anna said.

Layla asked me, “Can I go with you?”

“I’m sorry you can’t. There won’t be enough room. I know these guys well, even if they’re not believers they are good guys. So, you will be safe, okay?” I winked at her. “Maybe if you’re really good, they let you hold Hobbit.”

“What’s a hobbit?” Layla asked me.

“It’s their pet rabbit. He’s really gentle, soft and furry.”

“I’ll be good I promise.”

“Good.” We walked in quiet contemplation, each of us with our own demons, while the cicadas serenaded us. We made good time.

 Walking back into the basement, the TV blared a message while it scrolled across the screen.

WE HAVE RETURNED TO VIEW OUR CREATION. WE ARE NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO OUR PLANET. ALL MILITARY FACILITIES AND ALL CITIES WITH A POPULATION OF 10,000 OR MORE ACROSS THE PLANET HAVE BEEN QUARANTINED IN ELECTRIFIED DOMES. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

“Who has come?” Layla asked.

“I don’t know.” I said, while everyone else pretended to be busy with the task of setting up beds for us girls downstairs. I know their listening. God, I feel like a baby tonight constantly asking for your help but please give me the words to explain what I think may be happening.

“Are they bigger than God?” Layla asked.

“No.” I said. I watched Anna out of the corner of my eye. She’s barely holding it together.

“Then why isn’t God stopping it? He’s the One that created the Earth.”

Hearing snickering, I turned to Darris giving him the evil eye. I asked, “Do you have a Bible?” He sobered up and shook his head no.

“Layla, do you remember the Bible story about Daniel and the Lion’s Den.” I explained.

“Yes.” She said smiling, then she roared. “It’s one of my favorite.”

“Daniel’s people had been carried off into slavery because a lot of them weren’t living the way God told them too. Right?”

Layla thought about it then nodded. 

I continued, “Are most of the people in our nation living the way God told them to?”

She shook her head no.

“Who’s bigger than we are?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” Layla said. “Are they going to carry us off too?”

“I don’t know who’s stronger than the US. But I think they found us. From their message I don’t think that they are going to carry us off. ” I said.

“Who’s our Daniel?” Layla asked.

“I don’t know.” I shook my head while speaking; out of the mouth of babes.

© 2013 Kim Izzy