Chapter Twenty-Nine

Freddie didn't like the flight to Minnesota, fussing non-stop in the private jet. Harry took Freddie for the longest time until the boy fell asleep on his chest. Lucy dozed off until Freddie awoke again. Harry quickly tried to quiet him again. There were dark bags under her eyes and she was pale. It was an hour before landing that Lucy dressed, doing her hair and makeup with help. The nanny was along and got Freddie ready. Harry dressed in a suit. Freddie hated the landing even more, and only his mother was able to comfort him.

Leaving the airplane, photographers waited outside and snapped photos quickly. Freddie placed his head on his mother's shoulder, staring at the cameras. His smile was gone long ago.

With security around, the cars rolled out and headed to the old town outside the Twin Cities, which was thirty minutes southwest. Soon the city lights disappeared and only the highway was lit. The town had managed to grow over the past ten years, even with the bad past. No longer was it the farm community that it had once been and turned into a booming metro.

All hotels had been booked and rented out. Thankfully the house was still under Lucy's name, which used to be her grandfather's before his death. The house was left to the nearest kin, which was his granddaughter. Lucy never sold it, like she needed a place to escape to eventually. The couple had come back to the house before, again and again, but this was Freddie's first time. It wasn't like his house back home but he enjoyed it enough. After settling him into bed, the security and nanny took control of the house.

Harry's hands ran up and down his wife's arms. "I'll make sure he's okay. You go take a shower."

Lucy turned to him, pouting slightly, and then she hissed. She pressed her hand against her stomach. "Hello."

His blue eyes drifted down to her stomach, a smile hinting on his lips. After a moment, she took his hand in hers and pressed it to her bulging belly. It was a slight flutter but it was movement under the skin. Their baby moved, and the baby was like Freddie, it moved a lot.

"Pain?" Harry asked.

"Not much. It isn't as... old yet."

"It'll be a kicker then," Harry said.

"Can't wait." Lucy winced.

His hand remained on Lucy's stomach as they hovered there for some time. Both of them were too tired to actually move anymore. Though she knew she needed to take a shower, Lucy couldn't actually make herself move. Harry didn't want to move. He was happy how everything was.

"Your highness," Tony said, eyes to the ground, "your friend Sydney approaches the front door. Should we let her in?"

Lucy smiled nicely. "Of course."

Tony nodded and left.

Harry kept his hand on Lucy's stomach still. "I'm sure you two have a lot to talk about."

"Yeah." Lucy pushed her hair back. "There's going to be quite the talk happening."

"I'll keep Freddie out of the way, assuming this will be serious?"

Lucy nodded, eyes to the wall. She breathed deeply. "I didn't even realize she was coming to this thing, but I guess I should've known." Standing, Lucy kissed Harry, and he took leave.

When Sydney came, Tony directed her to the closed off office, where the sliding doors closed. Lucy invited Sydney to sit, and they sat awkwardly on the love sofa together. Sydney's blue eyes fell to Lucy's bulging belly for a second and then looked up at her old friend again. It used to be trio, when there was yet one more best friend. Then that girl died in the shooting; Lucy almost died in the shooting. Lucy survived, only for Sydney to be shot later in life.