Chapter 7: Speedy Small Talk

(Your POV)

Several hours later, John and I sat in Speedy's café, enjoying our dinner. John, being the gentleman he was, had decided to pay for the both of us. I had with me two bags of clothes and other necessities- I didn't think I would need much for my short time in 221B. John and I had spent the afternoon packing my entire flat back into boxes. Everything except the two bags I carried had been thrown out or donated. I would be moving on-campus in less than two months, anyways.

I took a sip of my (favorite drink) and looked out the window. London was beautiful, even when it was only busy people rushing about.

"So how are you liking it so far? London, I mean." I reluctantly looked away from the window to acknowledge John's question.

"London is beautiful- it's a shame I can't spend more time here."

"Yeah." John looked down at his coffee. "It is." He hesitated before continuing. "So you're not planning to stay, then? With me and Sherlock, I mean."

I gave a light chuckle. "I don't think I could even if I wanted to. Sherlock is such a pain." I sighed and shook my head. "How do you do it?"

John smiled. "You just kind of get used to it. Him rushing off at odd hours and dragging you along, long days in the morgue or lab- it becomes your norm. I don't know what I'd be doing if I hadn't met him."

"What about him being a total arse?" It was a serious question, but John thought it was hilarious. He was laughing so hard he was crying, and he had to calm himself down before he could answer. His laugh was contagious, and I found myself smiling as well. Neither of us noticed the entire café shooting us annoyed looks.

"That, I'm afraid, will never change. He'll warm up to you eventually. He's just not... accustomed to other people's company."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah right. He hates my guts."

John quirked a smile at me, the twinkle in his eyes screaming 'I know something you don't'. "I think we both know that's not quite true." His tone was different now- more playful and suggestive. He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

I chuckled, shrugging off his behavior. I took a sip of my drink and contemplated his words. What he was suggesting was practically unthinkable. Sherlock definitely didn't like me. At the very least, he had something against me, because he treated me like an idiot.

"Fine, I hate his guts. He's arrogant, rude, and not exactly easy to get along with in the least. Besides, he only wants me to stay temporarily, remember? I'll be gone before you know it. Give it 'till the end of the week."

"Yeah, right." John muttered. "Because he's totally gonna let that happen."

I gave him a playful kick under the table, blushing and grinning. "John!"

He kicked back lightly, laughing as well. John, I realized, was the polar opposite of Sherlock, and not just physically. He was kind and genuine, but sassy and protective as well. Not to mention extremely easy to get along with. He perfectly fit every 'older brother' and 'best friend' stereotype. I wasn't so sure about Sherlock, but I hoped John and I could be friends, despite the fact that he was 15 years my superior, give or take a few years.

His tone took a more serious one as he continued. "But seriously, though. He doesn't hate you, I promise. You're... something different." He looked at me and I knew what he was saying was genuine. I just couldn't bring myself to believe it.

"Different?"

He sighed and shook his head. "I don't know. I've just never seen him this way before."

"Well, it's not every day he has a stranger moving into his flat."

John shrugged. "Touché."

Our conversation was cut off by two loud gunshots, coming from inside 221B. Both our heads whipped in that direction and then back at each other, extremely alarmed.

"What the-" Both of us had gathered our things and were out the door before John could finish his question.