Chapter 40

Chapter 40

OSI's building was situated outside the city limits of Downey. It was shared with the state police, a reasonable arrangement since OSI was actually part of the state police force. The sprawling facility was a single story with a central hub and tentacles that stretched away from the body of the building to smaller hexagonal pods. 

Chris Darnell, or more aptly Orion, had a single pod dedicated to OSI's needs. I expected Orion to pass me off to some state officer, in a crisp black uniform with a swath of slate gray bisecting the sides of the pants. Their badges were different from Orion's too; five point stars that reminded me of old west sheriff badges. One of the officers responsible for evidence approached, straightened to military posture and saluted.

"Not necessary," Orion chuckled. "Dr. Eriksson and I are heading out to OSI now. Process this scene and take everything out to headquarters. Chris will handle the media and CSD from Darkwater."

He led me to the car and opened the door.

"I thought you couldn't be part of this, Orion. And your cover can't be too deep if all these officers know who you are."

"Everyone associated with OSI passed a rigorous vetting process. Most of them are so loyal to Chris; you'd think this was still his Marine unit. They understand the stakes, Doc. My secret is safe with them."

I hadn't given him a similar assurance, and wasn't about to do it yet.

"So how is this going to happen? You're gonna drop me off and disappear?"

"OSI's section at the state police building is unique. I can enter and exit without being seen by anyone. There's a basement access with a private staircase that leads directly to my office."

"Your office."

"Technically, it's the one Chris uses to maintain the façade that he's running the operation. Chris primarily manages administrative things that I have neither the time nor patience to deal with. He'll get us to interrogation without anyone from Central Division knowing you're alive. You can talk to the suspects, arrest whom you will, and I can observe."

"I need to tell Charlie I'm alive."

"After everything else is done. Zack Carpenter is going to meet us at OSI. I doubt you've met him yet. Chris also called George Hardy and Donald Weber. Maya already faxed her preliminary findings that identified Rodney Martin and Matt Rogers. Everything is ready for you to do your thing."

"This isn't normally what I do," I confessed. "I don't conduct interrogations or arrest suspects, Orion. I haven't been trained to-"

"Bullshit. I'm well aware of the training you received at Quantico. Just because your brilliant mentor David Levine never required you to interrogate anyone doesn't mean you're not a natural. You handled me like a pro, and I watched you extract the truth out of Dennis Bennett. You'll do fine."

"What if I screw it up?"

Orion's eyes pierced the darkness. "Seriously? Self doubt from you?"

"I don't want to end up with a reputation like yours."

"Ouch. Point taken. Yet I have faith in your abilities. You completely convinced me of your dedication to see this through. Lowe might think he's a match for you, but he's not."

"And still I fell into his trap."

He didn't argue. It was apparently a sore spot despite my explanation of how that happened. 

At OSI, I met Zack Carpenter and received assurances from Darnell that no one present in the building would see me until I was ready to reveal the truth. Through a maze of hallways, I was led from Orion's office to the room where through a door left ajar, Lowe sat. I heard his smooth voice talking to someone.