Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"Change of plans." 

Our exit strategy from LaPierre Bistro was less than graceful. If Charlie hadn't blocked me into the booth, I would've shot out the door at the speed of light. As it was, I had a hard time resisting the compulsion to climb over him. 

"Helen, what do you think this means?"

Orion's a lying sack of feces for starters. "He has withheld information, vital information, for the very last time," I snarled. Whatever patience I had left snapped, evaporated into the infamous city fog. "Not only that, but he acted like he has no idea how far this thing has gone. Fourteen slaughtered girls my ass. He knows damn well they were survivors of this guy's sexual assaults. I bet he knows exactly how many women weren't found that are potentially victims of similar crimes."

"You mean, murder victims?"

I gave a curt nod. "Where are Adams and Thieg?"

"I told them we'd call when-"

"Get them on the phone. I want Orion arrested. Tonight. Right fucking now."

Charlie hopped to and made the call while I paced the sidewalk. Adrenalin seemed to be the cure for my lingering hangover. My energy boiled to the fore.

"Are we still heading out to the Bennett farm?"

"Preferably before they get Orion in cuffs. I don't want to see him until I've got all the evidence I need."

"You don't think... Helen, is he the guy?"

"We'll know soon enough, I suspect. After he's locked up, tell Adams and Thieg that I want Candy Blevins picked up, I don't care if they have to beat the truth out of her known associates, she's coming in for a chat post haste."

"Will do." 

He muttered into the phone while I jerked the door open on his car, parked curbside in front of the bistro. My cell phone had immediately been deposited between the wall and cushion of the booth when I sat down almost an hour ago.

Hell. Neither one of us thought to ask Carrie if she knew where Candy was after the coup de grâce, the bombshell that put an entirely different face on the investigation. It didn't matter. Adams and Thieg could follow up with her later if need be. I suspected that given Candy's psychopathy...

I groaned. "Her psychopathy. Maya's theory of Gwen's murder. Candy Blevins could be the accomplice, the smaller, weaker person who used a garrote like tool!"

"And we've just bumped up the status of the location on the Blevins girl to priority one, as soon as Orion's locked up," Charlie spoke his final directive into the phone. "Things are happening fast. Gotta go. We'll check in soon."

The journey to the Bennett farm was mostly silent. If Charlie asked questions, I didn't hear them. My mind was occupied working out the theory of the crime. I knew that Brighton Bennett's cause of death was exsanguination, if Riley Storm could be trusted at all. Orion couldn't have always had a partner. Meeting Candy at the time of her alleged assault could've been the moment of critical change, where two people who should've never met found each other and shared sinister goals.

So what really happened the night Gwen died? Had Candy become jealous? Figured out that Johnny was spending all his time with one of the survivors and killed her? Orion could've shown up, found her dead, dismembered Gwen... but the rape happened first. It fit, but then it couldn't.

"Jesus."

I was sure Charlie didn't respond.

He navigated slowly up a long driveway that wound beside the Elegiac River. The distinctive fishy odor told me what my eyes couldn't see. Yes, it was dark and foggy in patches, but not so bad that the dark sentries looming around us could be mistaken. I pondered the trees, their placement, if the circumstances of Brighton's abduction reflected similarities to Carrie Blevins' account.