Chapter 23

Chapter 23 

Theresa Oswald was a perky, blonde forty-something who could've easily been on the radar of my prolific rapist-slash-suspected murderer in years past. She pulled out a file of properties that she swore would meet my criteria for privacy and security with the enthusiasm of a shark entering a beach side swimming area for the first time.

"There are a couple of lovely penthouses out on Hennessey Island."

I wrinkled my nose. Secure, perhaps. Private? No.

"You may not know this, but Hennessey Island has the lowest crime rate in the state."

"So I've been told. I really prefer private residences, Ms. Oswald."

"Well, we've got Beach Cliffs. There is one property that isn't technically on the market yet, but it does have a few furnishings that the owner is trying to decide if he'll sell with the house or if he has time to come back to the city to properly close up the property."

"It's not for sale yet?"

"He's testing the waters with a new job in Chicago through the winter. If he can tough it out through the wind and snow, he'll sell the place. If not, he'll want to return here. So you see, the house isn't really for sale, more of a lease with an option to purchase in six months."

"Honestly, that sounds perfect. Is there any chance I could look at this house today?"

"Certainly, Dr. Eriksson, but I should tell you that he wants all six months up front, which of course would apply to the sale price of the property, as the down payment. It's quite a lot of money, which is why it's been sitting empty for three months."

Not an issue. I pasted on an expression of haggling hesitation. "So he's not even going to make it through winter in Chicago? It's June right now, Ms. Oswald."

"Right, so he endured March in Chicago and thinks he's ready for November and December. I expect that life in the big city has him enamored enough that the weather isn't going to be a factor."

"Exactly how much are we talking about?"

"Twenty percent of the sale price as a down payment, and the leasing fee."

"Which is how much exactly?"

"Just above half a million. I know that sounds incredibly steep, Dr. Eriksson."

"What it sounds like is a scam. This guy lives in another city for six months while some poor sap depletes their life savings in the hopes that it'll truly be a down payment on an expensive piece of real estate, only to end up paying half a million dollars for a six month lease. I don't know what universe this guy lives in, but that sounds like theft to me. Who in their right mind would pay almost 100 thousand dollars a month for rent?"

"I'm sorry," she dripped saccharine from perfectly straight teeth. "I was unclear. The majority of the funds will be held in an escrow account. Should the owner decide to return to Darkwater Bay in six months, the amount deducted is equal to approximately six-thousand per month, not 100 thousand."

"It's steep, but not too much of a stretch. I'd like to see the house, know a bit more about the security."

Oswald delved into her sales pitch inclusive of gated properties and high-tech security systems, locations on Darkwater Bay's prestigious cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and all the modern amenities a woman of my discerning taste could want. The dolt had me at gated property and security system and didn't even realize it.

"Four bedrooms, five full baths, a gourmet kitchen, formal dining, a spacious living room, a den with built-in bookshelves. As a doctor, that might be a feature you'd enjoy. The back yard is landscaped and has a permanent in-ground pool. But the most stunning feature of the property in my opinion is the beautiful lanai at the back of the house. It overlooks the landscaped yard, the pool and the Pacific."