Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I dashed across the street to LaPierre Tower to liberate my luggage. Fortunately, Michel had left word with his daytime counterpart that Mr. Orion had a guest who was to be allowed access to the penthouse. As it turned out, it wasn't entirely necessary. I met Orion at the elevator. He was going.

"Don't stick around on account of me."

"Funny, Doc. I was just about ready to call out the National Guard." He stepped back into the elevator. "Well?"

"Well what?"

"Are you coming?"

"Only to get my things."

"C'mon, Doc. Would it really be so terrible for you to accept a genuine offer of help?"

"Not from someone I trust implicitly."

"Oh, and who might that be?"

"None of your business. I appreciate the help you offered last night, getting my things out of the Montcliff before they too could be infected with bugs, but I no longer require your assistance."

"I saw Danny Datello leaving central when I got home this morning."

He hadn't bothered to change his clothes, not that I noticed before he subtly pointed out that he didn't go back to the penthouse last night.

"You are correct."

"He looked like a man on a mission."

"I'm sure he did."

"Any signs of Kelly and Varden this morning?"

"I wouldn't know, Orion. I've been too busy working to notice."

"You should pay closer attention, Doc. If you did, you might've noticed that yes, they're still watching your every move, as are the gentlemen from the FBI."

"No surprise there."

"And why is that not a shocking twist in this drama?"

"You assume I didn't ask them to stick around."

"After you told them to leave, wished David the best?"

"Orion, if I didn't know your type the way I do, I'd say you almost sound jealous."

The elevator chimed, and Orion slipped his keycard into the slot that granted access to the penthouse foyer.

"Who says jealousy is an impossible emotion for me to feel?"

"I do. Men like you don't stick around long enough to get jealous. You go out and have a thing for one night, and come home the next morning ready to move on to the next conquest. God help the good men and women at the Department of Health if you ever settle down. The rate of sexually transmitted diseases will probably drop by 75 percent."

"Ouch." Not really, judging by the unabashed grin. He swung the door to his apartment open.

I wasted no time. One bag tucked under my arm, I started lugging the heaviest out into the foyer.

"Helen."

"What?"

"Don't do this. I don't mind if you stay here, and I swear on my father's soul, I'll be a perfect gentleman. I'd feel a lot better if I knew you had a safe place to decompress."

"I see my demonstration in self-defense fell on deaf ears. Or nerves as the case may be."

"All right. All right. I concede defeat. You're a big girl who can take care of herself. I'm not sure how adept you are at sleeping with one eye open, but if you say so-"