2. Connection

"So what's your name?"

    The both of us are walking side by side as we cross the hallway leading to the back exit. Jax thought it'll be better if we leave through here. It's been ten minutes and I can't find either Braydon or Beth. I've even looked at Zach and Jax rooms in case they were lingering in there, but the rooms were empty. Maybe they're waiting for me outside.

    "Why do you want to know my name?" I turn to Jax.

    His dark eyes are shadowy, illuminated by the dim flickering lights of the hallway. Most of the people have gone already, leaving just the two of us.

     I don't know whether I should be happy or scared. Scared, because I'm alone with a complete stranger. Happy, because as much as he's an asshole, I couldn't seem to get him out of my mind the entire night.

    "I'd like to know whose cute ass I've just saved just now," he replies. He's still wearing his black robe, and he looks like an absolute king floating around in it. Kinda sexy if you ask me.

    "I don't tell my name to strangers."

    "If you don't tell your name to strangers, then how can they ever be friends with you?"

     "You want to be my friend?"

    "I don't know. Maybe." He shrugs. "But that's besides the point. The point is, it's only fair if I know your name. You know mine."

    "That's different." I shake my head. "Everybody knows your name. You're a legend in Boston."

    "Legend, huh?" He nods, grinning, as if pleased with my response. "I like the sound of that. You think I'm a legend, princess?"

    "I think you're okay." I say, not really wanting to inflate his ego.

    He's more than good—he's brilliant. He's enigmatic in that ring—every punch he throws, he punches with force, every move he makes, he does it with grace and every opponent he takes down, he gives it everything he got.

     I've never met anyone like him before. It's such an odd thing to be attracted to someone like that, but I've always been odd. I don't care about the looks; I care about the power that a person wields.

    And Jax 'Deadbeat' Deneris is a god.

    "Just okay?" He scoffs, looking offended by my remark. "Did you see me out there, princess? I owned that fucking ring."

    Yeah, you did.

    "Like I said, you did okay," I murmur. "What did you expect, huh? You want me to shower you with compliments? Kiss your feet? Worship the ground you walk on?"

    "That would be great, thanks."

    Fuck, how can I feel so much annoyance and adoration for this man—both at the same time? There's a burning passion in me to dismiss everything that comes out from his mouth but there's also another part of me that wants to spend more time with him, to know more about this man that enraptured me in that ring upon first glance.

    "I'm kidding," Jax says when he notices my silence. "You're really uptight, aren't you?"

    "No, I'm not."

    "Well, you're not very nice either."

    "Neither are you," I snap back.

    "Oh, I know that." he grins at me. "I never said otherwise, princess."

    I stop at my tracks. "Stop calling me that."

    "What? Princess?"

    I nod wordlessly.