c h a p t e r : 14

"I'll trade your broken wings for mine
Trade your broken wings for mine
I've seen your scars and kissed your crime
Seen your scars and kissed your crime"
-Beyonce, All Night

The papers will still around.

Everywhere Lilli went, the unmistakable picture of Obsidian on the front page was in her view. It didn't help that Jade was waving the paper it her face as Lilli awoken from a deep slumber. Lilli shot up from her pillow and starting waving her arms around to get her sister away.

"What is this shit? Oh god, what did you do?"

Jade had arrived two days earlier, which was a great surprise. Lilli didn't think it was a coincidence that she had more stress than usual.

"That's me."

Jade tossed the paper into the air.

"No, really? I thought it was Misako Miyamoto!"

"Who?"

"Ugh! Never mind... Lil, you messed up. You messed up real bad."

Lilli hands shot up to her messy morning hair. She gripped the waves and bit her lip.

"I know Jade! I know! You don't think the guilt has been eating me alive every second?"

The sisters sat in silence and stared at each other.

"Get up. I've made pancakes."

Jade turned on her heel and stormed out of her old bedroom in a whirlwind. Lilli rubbed her eyes and pushed herself out of bed. The walk down the stairs was slow and rough. Lilli had to grip onto the handrail the whole way down to keep herself from falling. Images of Officer Graham kept flashing across her eyes.

"Hurry up or the pancakes will get too cold."

Lilli shook out her head and tried to regain her wits.

"You sound like Mom."

Jade sat at the island messing with a syrup bottle. Lilli took a seat next to her sister and laid her head on the palms of her hands. She turned to face her older sister.

"What am I going to do?" Lilli asked while her brown eyes glazed over.

"You're going to pull yourself together and eat a few pancakes. You made a commitment to save this city. Keep it."

Lilli wasn't hungry. Especially not for her sister's doughy pancakes.

"I can't even look at the mask any more."

Jade furrowed her eyebrows, picked up one of her pancakes, and threw the buttery slab of cake at Lilli's face. The flying pancake took Lilli by surprise and she almost fell off her stool.

"I'm done listening to you mope. It was an accident."

"No Jade! You don't understand! They think I'm a criminal... They'll arrest me if they ever get the chance."

"Good thing they don't know who you are behind the mask."

Lilli quickly bent down, picked up the pancake Jade threw at her off the floor, and hit her sister with it.

"You don't understand Jade."

"Trust me, I do."

Yet again, the two sisters plunged into deathly silence.

"I'm guessing this is a bad time to mention the masquerade?"

Lilli's ears perked up.

"The what?"