Chapter 10

-Kevin-

I put my phone down and watched as Sherice walked into the restaurant. I smiled and noticed she didn’t return it. I frowned and wondered what was wrong with her. I motioned for her to sit down and I asked “What’s wrong Reese?”

“Oh nothing Kevin just had a long day at work already. What are you getting for lunch? I’m starving.”

I shrugged my worrying off but wasn’t convinced that she was okay. “I was gonna get a burger and fries.”

She nodded and stared at the menu. I watched as she took a sip of water and stared off into space. “You sure you’re okay Reese?”

She nodded once again without looking up and said “Yes….Oh I have those forms for you about the house you found.”

I watched as she reached into her bag and pulled them out and handed them to me rather quickly.

I frowned and raised my eyebrows. “So you don’t want to stay with Dante?”

“Nope. Now what was the news you wanted to tell me?” she asked trying to change the subject quickly but failed miserably.

“Oh, I-“

The waiter cut me off and took our order.

Sherice looked at me once the waiter left and said “Now back to what you were saying.”

I chuckled and nodded. “Oh yeah, right….well…I don’t really know how to say this other than you’re going to be an Aunt.”

She looked at me and rolled her eyes and then her mouth dropped open slowly. I grinned and started laughing. “Wait what did you say? I’m going to be an auntie? Are you freaking kidding me?? Omg!” she yelled and jumped up out of her seat. She ran over to me and hugged me so tight I could barely breathe.

“Alright Reese, that’s enough.” I said while laughing.

Sherice pulled away and walked back to her seat and sat down. “I’m just so happy. When did you find out? Where is Nika?”

I sighed and glanced at Sherice. “I found out yesterday and Nika is back in North Carolina-“

She cut me off “Wait why? You guys still aren’t talking? When are you going to realize you need that woman in your life Kev.”

I chuckled and shook my head. “Reese I’m trying to process this shit. I’m trying to sort my feelings out. I’m confused right now. I mean I love her but I’m not sure I can commit just yet.”

Reese shook her head and rolled her eyes. “You men and your lies.”

I frowned and looked at her. “What the hell are you talking about? What men and what lies?”

She huffed and rolled her eyes again. I could tell she was upset but just couldn’t tell why.

“Nothing Kev. Just remember to find out about that house as soon as possible. I need my own space.”

I stared at her hard until our eyes met. She looked away quickly and that’s when I knew something had her extremely upset.

“Kevin, don’t even ask about it. I don’t want to talk about it right now. I promise I will tell you later…”

I nodded slowly and had an uneasy feeling in my stomach. What the hell could have her so mad at Dante that she wants to move out immediately?

Lunch went by quickly. Sherice didn’t have a lot to say about her but she had plenty to say about mine and Nika’s relationship.