Chapter 15--Behind the Mask

No one deserves to be called a beast

Well, I proved that wrong.

I shook my head in disgust at myself.

Why on earth did I go off like that?

She was trying to help, and I lost it. That just wasn't like me, it was like a--a--

I froze, one foot in the air, panic starting to run through me as realization struck.

"It was like a monster," I mumbled, petrified at the thought.

I started moving again, this time more briskly than before. It couldn't be progressing this quickly. It couldn't. I had been stuck in the castle for so many years I had lost track, and nothing had changed since that day.

Why now?

Because she can stop it.

I paused again, surprised at myself. I actually had allowed that thought to surface, didn't I? Why did that happen?

Because it's true.

I gave a small laugh and pressed my thumb and forefinger against the bridge of my nose. "Now I'm talking to myself. What next? Wait, no, don't answer that."

Great. I'm going nuts.

I leaned against the stone entrance- way I stopped under, trying to calm the nerves I didn't know I had wound up. I looked down at my hand that held my cane and almost laughed. It was shaking so much that the cane was bouncing up and down, very lightly touching the gravel underneath me and then bounding back up like a nervous grasshopper. I closed my eyes, trying to think of something that could calm me. The magic. Teaching how to simply move a pebble. A smile pulled on my lips, pinching my skin around the edges of mask.

I kept telling myself I didn't like that. I didn't like teaching again, I didn't like our mini rock fight. I held back a chuckle. Pridurok. It's funny how no one believes that another can speak their language. It took a lot of self-control to not respond back to her with an insult in the same language she had spoken. The flash of fear in her eyes when I turned around was priceless. I think the main reason that it was so funny is because it wasn't all fear. It was playful.

The ground beneath me suddenly seemed to spin. My knees buckled under me and I slid down the wall I had been leaning against. I weakly tried to thrust out my hand to stop myself from falling, but it was too late. I tried to open my eyes, but my eyelids felt like they weighed a ton. Sudden cold came over me and I shivered.

Stupid.

I knew what this was. The magic I used. I knew I'm not supposed to use as much as I did that soon after a change like last night, but I did anyway. I let my head roll to the side, unable to stop the sleep-trance that took me into memories.