Chapter 42--Deaths

Humans are made so cheaply.--Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

______________________________________

"How pitiful."

I froze, catching my breath. The blade of a knife pushed against my throat.

"Vadik."

A hand slapped my shoulder, and with the hit came loud laughter.

"Better believe it."

Rage boiled up inside me. I stared at the still form of Brennen, seeing the stab wounds Vadik made, seeing the blood that Vadik drew.

Every part of me that had
screamed there was something wrong silenced. The world blew past is ringing--pure, unhalting ringing.

It's his fault.

I clenched my fist, preparing to burn him to a crisp. The blade pressed further into my throat, drawing a drop of blood.

"Nuh-uh-uh, Zara," Vadik sang. He bent his head down close to mine and whispered, his warm breath tickling my ear.

"Is he alive?"

All of me ached to get away from Vadik, to burn him to a crisp, to have him back away so I'd never see him again.

"Brennen's dead," I answered. The last word sent a pang through my chest.

Vadik grabbed the back of my neck and squeezed. "Check."

Check.

He shoved my head down, knife still at my throat.

"Let go. I can't 'check' if I have a knife at my throat."

Slowly, Vadik removed his dagger from my throat. I gulped in air, finally free to breathe.

He pushed my back, forcing me to get next to Brennen. "Check."

I shook his hand away. Brennen's broken form loomed in front of me, still and silent.

I tilted my head to the side and ran my hand across his forehead, pushing a stray piece of hair away from his closed eyes. His skin was still warm.

Tears threatened to spill over again. I pushed them back.  Vadik would not see me cry more than he already had.

I pressed my right hand to my still friend's chest, right where his heart was. There was no movement.

The dagger poked at the back of my neck, stinging me. "Closer."

He wants to make this hurt more than it already does.

That was impossible.

I did what Vadik order and put my head against Brennen's chest, like I was hugging him. Comfort washed over me at the simple action, even though it was hopeless. I knew he was dea--

Tmp.                     Tmp.                  Tmp.  

My heart jumped a beat. My eyes widened, and I quickly masked my expression. Never had one noise sounded so beautiful. It was nearly inaudible, impossible it feel.

But it was there. As clear as day.

A heartbeat.

I clenched my fist. He's still alive.

A million thoughts raced through my mind at once.

Vadik  doesn't know.

I need to keep it that way.