Chapter 39--Escape

A low moan came from where Joshua last was. I pushed away from the arms that held me and found myself staring up at my father.

He didn't meet my eyes, in fact, he let me go.

Thank you, Baupa, I thought.

"Josh? You alright?"

Joshua pushed himself from the ground. "Perfectly fine, Zara. I get slammed into walls by invisible forces on a regular basis."

He's fine.

"I need to get out of here." I grabbed the jail bars frantically. "I have to warn him."

Joshua grabbed my wrist. "No, Zara. You don't owe anybody anything."

I opened my mouth to respond, but was cut off by the quiet grinding of the door. Baupa, Joshua, and I all focused our attention toward the sound. 

A boot, then a leg, then a full body appeared. I scowled, waiting to cuss out Vadik.

But it wasn't him.

"Hurry," Camden whispered. He ran over to our cell and fumbled for something attached to his belt. The keys jingled as he unlocked the jail bars. "You need to go."

At first, relief washed over me at being free. Then, doubt.

"Why are you doing this, Camden? How do we know that you won't just kill us?"

He gaped at me. "Do you honestly think I'd free you, just to kill you?"

"Yes!"

"Pridurok," he muttered. He threw his arms into the air. "Fine! Just stay here then. When everybody goes insane because Vadik brought vespers with him, don't say I didn't try!"

"Vespers? Vadik has vespers?"

Camden stopped his ranting and nodded his head. "He figured out how to use them, somehow."

Joshua piped up curiously. "What do you mean, 'Use them?' They're people!"

I turned around, staring at Joshua and Baupa in fear. "No. They aren't. They're animals--animals that show your worst fear."

Or greatest desire.

Joshua shook his head. "But--"

I grabbed his wrist, not letting him finish. "No time! If Vadik is using vespers, then we need to stop him."

Neither brother nor father moved.

"Now," I added for emphasis.

That woke them up.

I nodded to Camden, telling him to move on. Joshua, Baupa, and I stood at the edge of the cell, waiting to for Camden to give the okay. He cracked open the dungeon door, peeking out to see who was where.

The thundering of boots reached my ears almost immediately. There were frantic shouts of "you go here" and "hurry up" ringing through the halls.

Vadik is bringing an army...

Why on earth would Vadik be bringing an army? Is Brennen really that powerful? Has he that much control over this land?

Through the dim light, I saw Camden wave his hands. I bolted up to the stairs and stood behind him. Joshua and Baupa were a bit slower.

"When I say so," Camden whispered, "go left. You can get to the stables that way."

"Wouldn't Vadik be at the stables?" I whispered.