twenty six » graduatiøn

Today was the big day

Today was the big day. The day that I would no longer be a high school student, and the day that I would be free to be with whomever— Luke— I pleased.

I smoothed out the bottom portion of my pastel blue dress as I looked in the mirror. My hair was loosely curled, and my makeup was done to perfection. I didn't often dress up, but today was a special occasion.

There was a quick knock on my door before Michael peeked his head in.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked, his cap and gown hanging from his arm. We wouldn't put those on until we arrived at the school.

"More than ready," I replied.

We said goodbye to our parents as they wished us luck. They would be meeting us there later along with Luke.

Once we arrived at the school, we headed towards the library where all of the seniors were supposed to congregate for last minute announcements and to finish getting ready.

Michael and I immediately found our other two friends who were just bouncing with excitement.

"I can't believe it, guys! We actually did it! We're all graduating!" Lindsey gushed, unable to contain her happiness.

My phone vibrated in my hand, and I looked down to see a text from my beloved boyfriend.

From Luke💓🐧

good luck today baby girl. I'm so proud of you and I can't wait until tonight ;-)

I smiled and blushed at the message. I thought that I would be nervous for the day, but I loved Luke with all of my being, and I knew that he felt the same, so I felt surprisingly calm.

"What are you so smiley about, Blake?" Michael asked as I typed out a reply to Luke.

"Her and Luke are gonna do the sex later," Ashton smirked, reading my messages over my shoulder.

"Ashton!" I gasped, pushing him away from me once I realized what he was doing.

"That's not the name you'll be saying tonight," he winked.

My jaw dropped in shock, and I didn't know how to respond.

Michael put his hands up and shook his head. "Okay, okay. I really don't want to know about my sister's sex life."

I agreed with Michael, not feeling comfortable discussing this topic and suggested that we put our caps and gowns on instead.

Lindsey helped me to adjust the cap on my head so that it looked good, and I did the same with her. The four of us then asked another classmate to take a picture of us together— our last picture as high school kids.

Not long after, one of the teachers who had been assigned to organize us asked us to start lining up. We were fortunate enough that we could walk with whomever we wanted instead of being alphabetized. Michael and I chose to walk together, not just because we were twins but also because we had walked side by side into our very first day of preschool, and we wanted to walk out together on our very last day of high school side by side as well. We had started the journey together, and we were ending it together too. Ashton and Lindsey were lined up directly behind us.

Our class stood quietly outside the doors of the gymnasium, patiently awaiting our cue to start the walk. Once the first notes of Pomp and Circumstance were heard, the first in line entered the gym.

After the entire class had reached their seats, we were instructed to sit and speeches from our Valedictorian and Salutatorian were given, and some special awards and scholarships were handed out. Soon it time to receive our diplomas.

Our class president was the one to call our names off alphabetically so that we could walk up to the stage and receive acknowledgment.

With the last name Clifford, I didn't have to wait very long to hear my name.

"Blakelynn Destiny Clifford."

I stood up from my seat, hearing the loud and embarrassing cheers of my friends. I was so glad that I had chose to wear a pair of sandals rather than a pair of heels because I was afraid of tripping on my way to receive my diploma.

Once I left the stage, Michael's name was called up, and he received the same enthusiastic cheers from our friends.

Finally, the last of our class took their turns walking up to the stage, and soon we were officially high school graduates.

As I was hugging each of my best friends excitedly, I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I spun around to face my boyfriend and see the proud smile on his lips.

I immediately wrapped my arms around him, and he pulled me close to him.

"Congrats, baby," he whispered in my ear and kissed my cheek.

"Thank you," I smiled, biting my lip to resist kissing him right then and there.

"Oh, fuck it," Luke said, sensing what I wanted and crashing his lips against mine.

We pulled away from each other much too quickly because we didn't want to show too much affection in public, even though we now could.

I smiled widely while looking up at my boyfriend, our arms still holding onto each other. It felt good to be able to show others how much we cared for each other and also show others that he was mine, and I was his.

"Auntie Blakey! Lukey!" McKenzie yelled, running out of Michael's grasp and over to Luke and I.

"Hey, cutie," Luke picked her up and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Did you get to see your daddy and Aunt Blake up on the stage earlier?"

"Yeah!" McKenzie nodded. "They're wearing funny dresses though."

Luke and I laughed.

"You'll get to wear a funny dress one day too," I said, poking her on the nose. "Now why don't you go find daddy and tell him how proud you are of him." I pointed towards where Michael was standing, talking with another classmate. Luke set her down, and she took off running into Michael's arms.

"We'll get to have one of those one day, right?" Luke said, hooking his arm around my waist.

"Not until I'm done with college. But yeah, one day." I smiled, leaning into him.

"I can't wait." He kissed the top of my head, and we scanned the area looking for my parents so that we could go have dinner.