thirty » cøurt date

It had been hours since my encounter with Calum, and I was still at the police station with no new news

It had been hours since my encounter with Calum, and I was still at the police station with no new news. My parents had finished talking to the police and then so did Ashton and Lindsey. Luke's parents were in there now, and Michael hadn't been able to come back inside, so he decided to pick up McKenzie from her babysitter to distract himself.

Eventually, Luke's parents shuffled back into the lobby with tired looks on their faces.

"They're going to check with the school next," Liz informed us. "They want to see if there are possibly any security tapes or any sort evidence that could keep him here."

My heart sank at the thought of there possibly being videos of Luke and I's intimate endeavors. Lindsey must have sensed my nervousness because she leaned over and whispered in my ear that none of the classrooms have security cameras installed in them, so the only thing they would have evidence of is me going to and from Luke's classroom. I let out a small sigh of relief.

"So we just have to wait now?" Ashton asked, glancing at everyone in the room.

"There's not much else we can do," my mom replied, resting her hand on my shoulder. I felt completely drained and like I could sleep for five years, but every time I closed my eyes, I just saw the replay of the cops taking my Luke away from me.

»»»

Three more days had passed before we finally received anymore news.

Unfortunately, it was not good news.

I was sitting on my bed just staring at the wall in front of me. I had already cried out every tear in my body, so I sat there as emotionless as the wall itself. I wasn't even aware of the time passing. I didn't notice when the sun would come up or when the stars would appear. I didn't sleep either. The only indication I had of what time of day it was would be when my mom would try to get me to eat breakfast or dinner. I always declined by shaking my head. I had no appetite and no energy to speak either.

My mom knocked softly on my bedroom door— as she always did— before entering. She sat down next to me and started to stroke my hair in a way that was meant to be soothing.

"The police station called today, sweetie," she spoke hardly above a whisper. "They finished their investigation with school."

I turned to look at her for the first time in days but couldn't form the words to ask what they had discovered.

"The school wants to press charges against him. They said that were able to find enough evidence to take him to court. His court date is next week. And yes, you have to testify."