Chapter Thirteen

"Michael's here. We should act like all couple-like, right?" he said, nodding down to our hands. Oh, that's why he did it. I had seen Michael as well, before he said anything, but I didn't think that meant we had to hold hands. As I contemplated letting go or keep a grasp of his hand, I was interrupted by Michael greeting us.

"Oh, hey guys!" he casually says, yet his eyes follow my arms down to my hands. 

"Uh, hey. How's it going?" I ask awkwardly. I attempt to subtly let go of Luke's hand, but he doesn't allow it. I look up at him with a confused expression and he just smirks and winks. 

"Erm, fine I guess. You guys having a good time?" he says a bit uncomfortably.

"I am. What about you?" Luke speaks from beside me.

"Yeah, tons," I smile up to him, but I know it's fake and I'm sure Michael can tell. It's not a lie. I am enjoying myself. It's just that, he's here and I know how weird it is for him because I feel the same way. Just as I think things can't get more awkward, they do. Luke let's go of my hand, but only to replace it with an arm around my waist. 

"That's good," Michael looks away.

"How about you?" I ask.

"It's good.. Just with Calum and our old friend Ashton. You guys wouldn't know Ashton, but Hope, you may know Cal. He's not in any of our classes, but he's on the soccer team. I know Luke knows him," he lightly laughs.

"Dude, where are they?" Luke said, looking around.

"They went on that one ride you love," he said looking at me. The Tornado.

"You should give it a try one year," I laugh, knowing he won't agree. Ever.

"Maybe next year?" he asks, Luke's hand moving further around my waist, almost reminding me that it was there.

"Deal," I smile.

"Well, I'll let you guys get back to.. this," he said as his smile dropped. "I see Calum and Ashton now. Later," he said, hugging me and bro hugging Luke. We both waved bye after him. 

"Well, that was awkward," Luke said as we walked away.

"No kidding," I laughed. "But, I mean, I wouldn't expect it to not be awkward." I take note in the fact that Luke hasn't dropped his arm, but instead his hand is basically wrapped onto my hip, almost as if to hold it there as we walk.

"I know what you mean," he said looking at the ground. "How about that Funnel Cake though?" he smiled brightly.

"Race you?" I said as I ran from him. It was getting dark and I knew if I was fast enough, I could beat him there. I wasn't really surprised when he flew past me. I needed two steps to his one. He was ahead of my in no time.

"Luke?" I called out, out of breath. I was nearing the stand as I continued to call his name. I took out my phone and tried to call him. Where was he? Did he get lost? I leaned against the little shack that contained the awaiting dessert  that I was craving.

"Where are you Luke?" I said quietly to myself. 

"Pretty girl like you shouldn't be waiting alone in the dark," a voice said from behind me as they wrapped their arms around me and pulled me back.

"What the fuuu--Luke!" I said as he muffled a laugh that I recognized from earlier.

"Gotchuuuu," he taunted.

"No you didn't. I knew it was you.." I lied.

"No Mister! Please don't take me. Please. Take someone else!" he mocked my words that I would've spoken, had it not been him.