Chapter 1. The Four-Sheilds Tavern

The bar smelt of piss and whiskey. The dust that had collected on every surface was probably older then the bar itself. Creaking bar stools sat in front of the counter with their old and splintering wood. The boothes surrounding the perimeter of the bar had leather that was originally red , but now a faint dusty pink. Lights in dire need of replacement flickered above.  This was not the sort of place one went for their Saturday night getaway.  This was a place for those who didn't want to be seen. The ancient sign hung off of its one remaining hook outside, proclaiming with pride, "The Four-Shields Tavern."

An old man in his late seventies with a full beard and a yellow raincoat sat in the back booth humming along to imaginary songs. A few underage kids stood at the bar table with their fake IDs and their wary glances. The bartender knew they were underage. Around here, however, underage drinking was not the most illegal thing conspiring. She could care less about a few 18 year olds drinking their draft beers and giggling. Her concerns lay in the new man sitting in the corner with a glass of whiskey. He was newcomer, never been there before. She knew everybody who walked in her bar, it was usually the same people. The presence of this newcomer frightened her. Could he be a cop? A private investigator? Hell, it wouldn't be the first time she'd had a bounty hunter come through looking for his target. He didn't look like any of those things, though.

He was dressed sharply, the watch on his wrist looked to cost more than her apartment and car combined. At first glance you would think he was a businessman. Then, when you looked closer, you'd notice the telltale beard of a man who had not shaved for over two weeks. His hair probably hadn't been washed in a while. Yes, the suit was expensive, but it was ruffled at the edges. If the bartender had to guess she'd say he hadn't changed in quite a few days.

"Ill take another of the crown royals." The man slurred to her. She raised an eyebrow and took his empty glass. Her gaze stayed on him as she moved to give him a refill.

"Ice?" She asked him waryly. He shook his head slightly.

"No." He said with the grind of his teeth.

"Did a little pregaming before you got here, old man?" She asked in her curious tone. He waved her off.

"Why'do ya say that?" He said with a bitter smile. He grabbed the new drink she sat in front of him and took a heavy gulp. "And I'm not old!" He snapped sharply before taking another small sip.

"That's only the second drink I've poured you and you're already drunker than Mr. Ivory over there." She pointed at the yellow raincoat clad man in the back. "That may not mean something to you, but he's been in here since opening this morning. And he won $120 off of a scratch-off last night. So he can actually buy his drinks today." She said with a smirk. The man shrugged and took a long gulp of his drink.

"I can hold my liquor." He said, setting his drink down a little harder than necessary. "Don't you have a table to clean or something sweetheart?" She gave a small laugh and took a swig of her water bottle sitting behind the counter.

"Nope. That's Lonnie's job." She jerked a thumb over to the curly haired man wiping the counter. He was in his early twenties and had steroid infused muscles.  "I mostly handle the important stuff. You know, as the owner should." The mystery man's eyes widened a bit and a look of almost appreciation crossed his face.

"You go sweetheart. Women's rights and all that. Fight the patriarchy!" He said with a bitter grimace. "Im sure owning this place is exactly what you wanted to do wih your life." His voice was getting deeper with each sip and his eyes more bloodshot.The fine lines around his eyes made him look weathered and tired.

She rolled her eyes and turned to grab another beer for one of the kids in the front. In fact, owning this bar was not at all what the woman had wanted to do with her life. She wasn't going to tell this man that, though. She was used to bitter and jaded drunks. You had to be, working at this place. She leaned up against the counter for a few minutes, watching the man. She couldn't say she was surprised when  he soon pushed his second empty glass toward her.

"Crown royal." He slurred.