Chapter 8

I stared down at the phone for a moment before quickly rejecting the call and tossing the phone onto the bed as if it was burning. When is started to ring again, I pushed myself off the bed and I practically ran out of my room.

            Tonto followed behind me as I hurried to the other side of the house. I went into the living room and sat down on the couch, resting my head in my hands as memories assaulted me.

            I must have sat there for a long time, because suddenly Jared was there, crouching in front of me and pulling my hands away from my face. “Hailey? What’s wrong?”

            I threw my arms around his neck and buried my face in his shoulder. He grunted in surprise, but quickly wrapped his arms around my waist. He shifted until he was sitting on the couch as well and then he pulled me onto his lap. He rocked me gently, talking soothingly even though he didn’t know what had happened.

            After about ten minutes, I was able to compose myself. I pulled back slightly and looked at Jared. “He called,” I whispered.

            It took him about two seconds to realize who I was talking about. Rage quickly filled his eyes and his whole body went stiff. “Did you talk to him?”

            I shook my head. “No way. I ignored the call and left my phone in my room. How did he get my new number, Jared?”

            He sighed. “I don’t know, Hales.” One of his hands rubbed up and down my back gently. “Do you want me to call him and talk to him?”

            I hesitated for a moment. “I don’t know. Not yet, I guess. Maybe he’ll just give up.”

            “And if he doesn’t?”

            “Then we’ll deal with it then. I’m not going to let him harass me, so if it comes down to it, you can talk to him or something.”

            “Fine, but I think maybe we should get your phone number switched again.”

            I sighed. “What’s the point? If he was able to get this number, he’ll be able to get any other one as well.”

            “I guess you’re right.” He gave my shoulder a squeeze before lifting me off of his lap and placing me on the couch. “It’s getting late, so why don’t you go and try to get some sleep?” 

            I nodded and stood up. “Oh, how did your date go?”

            “It was good. I can see myself really liking this girl.”

            I smiled softly. “That’s good. You deserve to be happy.”

            He stood up and put his arm around my shoulder. “You deserve to be happy too, Hailey. Don’t let this get you down again.”

            Tears stung my eyes, but I managed to keep them at bay. “I’ll try, but it’s hard when all the memories come rushing back.”

            He started walking out of the room, keeping me at his side with his arm around me. “I know. But you can’t let him win. You can’t let him take away this happiness that you’ve found.”

            “I won’t. It just might take me a day or two to get over this, that’s all.”

            We stopped in front of my bedroom door and he turned me to face him. “Well, you know you can always come to me if you need to talk.”