Chapter 14

Chapter 14

“M, what are you doing here?” She walked into the sitting room to find her friend rifling through her purse. M pulled the white cube from the bag and held it in her hand.

“It’s right here.” M turned towards Davey, “It’s right here, D.”

“It’s Davey in Faulery Valley.” She settled into a chair as nonchalant as possible and grabbed the phone, “And of course it’s right there. I always have it.” The call connected with room service and she placed an order for several plates of food.

“Then why didn’t you answer your summons?” M paced around the room.

“I was a little busy,” Davey raised an eyebrow and tilted her head towards the trail of her clothes leading into her bedroom. M glanced through the open door and looked at the rumpled bedding.

“You were…? Since when are you on a romantic engagement?” Her friend crossed her arms over her red reindeer sweater. “What are you doing her, Davey?”

“I’m working my job. What are you doing here? Are you planning to be here for a while?”

“I’ve been assigned to assist you. To keep you on task, really. The Masters feel that you’re veering drastically off course. I’m here until the jobs done.”

“If you’re partners, you should probably tell me your name.” Davey pushed herself out of her seat and went to the door to answer the room service knock. She pulled the lids off the four plates and pushed the tray between the two chairs by the window. Crawling back into her seat, she waved her hand towards the food. “Feel free to eat.”

“How can you think about food when you’re throwing away your engagement?”

“M, just stop for a second. Stop thinking about the assignment and listen to this body.” She paused and let the smell of the food waft around the room, “Now, tell me you’re not hungry.”

“Oh my god,” M sank into the chair across from Davey, “My stomach feels like it’s going to eat itself. How do you deal with this?”

“I eat a lot, and I sleep a lot, and I have relations.” She raised an eyebrow, “These bodies have needs that we can’t always control. If you don’t deal with them, you’ll get completely sidetracked. I’m not off track; I’m just listening to the persona. Besides, my job here is a bit of a waiting game.” Davey found herself using the skills she normally used in an engagement against her oldest friend. Creating, lying, and not feeling bad about it. “Now, again, what am I supposed to call you here?”

“Monroe.” M pulled the plate of fries and gravy and cheese towards her, “What is this?” She poked it with the tines of the fork.

“Try it.” Davey smiled and sunk her teeth into the bread one of the sandwiches. “Looks gross. Tastes surprisingly delicious.”

They sat silently for a few minutes devouring the food on the tray. Davey watched Monroe from the corner of her eye, wondering how much the Masters actually knew about what was going on. If they suspected that she was moving in the direction of allowing Carly to give way to her fate. That she was contemplating things she’d never thought about before. Wondering things she knew could destroy her.

“Why did they send you? Did you speak to the Masters directly? I thought you were on track to an engagement somewhere else. We only spoke a few hours ago.”

“You know time doesn’t work the same here as it does in the Commune. Or have you forgotten after your extended stay?” Monroe picked up a glass of water from the table. “And yes, the Masters pulled me in to talk with them. They’re quite concerned about you, D. That you’re working towards actually failing your assignment.”