Chapter 4

"Are you sure I look ok?" Ella tugged at the hem of her skirt. Normally she didn't fret about her appearance but something about being in the presence of extremely wealthy and snobby people had her on edge.

"Ella, you look fine. Just be careful of the girls, they are out to kill. Now come on, we can't just stand here." Tugging her along, they both forced a smile on their faces.

"Kyle, sweetie. How dare you not introduce us to your girlfriend? Come here child, don't be shy. I promise I don't bite." The well dressed lady, who Ella assumed to be Mrs. Swartz, gave a tight smile. Taking a step closer, she stuck her hand out.

"Hi, you must be Mrs. Swartz. It's very nice to officially meet you. Kyle talks so much about his family." She felt Kyle tense even more as she took another step forward.

"Well, that's surprising as he really hasn't told us anything about you-?" Mr. Swartz, her husband, stood next to his wife, both sizing Ella up.

"Ella. Ella Riverton." After shaking both of their hands she stood closer to Kyle and wrapped her arm around his waist, pulling him a little tighter.

"So, Ella. I'm curious to hear how you two met." Kyle was going to begin panicking. They hadn't talked fully about their cover story and he'd get discovered before even starting the weekend. He knew his parents all too well. They were already eyeing Ella down and sizing her up.

Stealing a quick glance at Ella, he noticed her easy smile as she brushed a stray hair and leaned her head against his shoulder. She didn't look the slightest bit worried.

"It's actually kind of a funny story. Call it fate or magic but it was an accident."

"An accident, really?" Both his parents were leaning a bit further, giving them doubtful looks.

"Yeah, Kyle was actually supposed to be meeting someone else and I was standing in front of Lé Rouge restaurant waiting for my date when we knocked into each other. Well, it was more like he clumsily bumped into me." Looking up, she gave him her signature smile and stared deep in his eyes.

"Anyways, we started talking as we both had blind dates. Right before our dates came I made him an offer. If by the end of the night both of us had crappy dates, he and I would meet at the bar and officially introduce ourselves. Well, as predicted I had a really bad blind date and whether or not he and I would get to know each other I needed a drink.

"Kyle didn't come to the bar and I almost forgot all about him until we bumped into each other again at the bank. Right babe?" With the hand around his back she pinched him when he didn't reply right away.

"Yeah, how could I forget." Adding a forced smile didn't help with convincing his parents that Ella was his girlfriend and not some stranger he paid to play the part.

"I hope you don't mind. Kyle didn't tell me much except this was your anniversary and we took the liberty of buying a gift. It's nothing fancy but I do hope you like the opera. I've had one of the servants place it on your study Mr. Swartz. They are exactly 2 tickets, first box closest to the stage. It's at an old theatre, not the newer ones and your neighbors are the Smiths from Smith & Co. fashion boutiques."

Throwing in the wild card she was glad to see she had shocked them. His mother didn't look that friendly to her and it didn't miss her how she'd been giving her the stink eye since they both set foot in the room. At least with this gesture her message was loud and clear. Ella could be just as arrogant, snobby, and rich as everyone else they had invited.

Excusing themselves she linked her arm in Kyle's and pulled him along.
"El where did you get those tickets, they must have cost a fortune?!" He tried to lower his voice but he knew she probably paid all of her savings for seats like those. The opera wasn't cheap and in royalty seats nonetheless was added fees.

"I got them as a gift from clients. They didn't cost me a penny. Besides, I wanted to make a statement and I did." Shrugging her shoulders, she picked up a flute of champagne from a nearby waiter and sipped at it slowly while perusing the guests.

"Kyle, darling I missed you." The high pitched nasally voice came from behind them. Visibly cringing his eyes connected with Ella's.

"Ex-girlfriend?"

"She wishes."

"One night stand?"

"Try that plus my mother's friend's daughter and she's got it in her head that she and I were meant to be." Ella couldn't help but giggle at his pained expression.

Smacking his arm she mischievously smiled before downing the rest of her champagne and grabbing them both another.

"That's what you get for not being able to keep it in your pants."

"Veronica." The nasally voice belonged to a gorgeous blond with too short of a dress and too much makeup.

"Kyle, sweetie long time no see." Pulling at his tie he tried to look anywhere but at her.

"Not long enough," he mumbled as Ella bumped him with her hip playfully.

"Ky be nice. I'm so sorry he's normally not that rude." It was only then that Kyle's past fling noticed the beautiful girl leaning in his arm.

"Kyle, why is that thing latched onto you? The grown ups are talking, we wouldn't want you to get lost." He was irritated by the tone of voice she used to address Ella. Regardless of being an actual girlfriend or not Veronica had no right to talk to anyone that way.

Placing a hand to calm Kyle down, Ella narrowed her eyes down and scoffed. "Aww sweetie, I'm flattered you think I look so young. But you do have a point. The grown-ups are speaking. I'm sure this kind waiter can escort you to the time out room. Have fun." She all but breathed, pulling Kyle right along with her.

He was thoroughly impressed that she had easily accosted Veronica. Usually all the females cowered when she was near.

"Damn El, fiesty. I love it!" He breathed into her ear, wrapping his arms around her waist. Biting her earlobe he watched her shiver with delight.

"What are you doing?" Ella breathlessly blushed and covered her face.

"Playing the part." Was his only reply before spotting a friend of his and leaving her to untangle the emotional mess she had just encountered. Ella knew one thing for sure, there was no doubt that Kyle Swartz was all male and she'd be lying to herself if she denied the fact that he was extremely good looking. Interacting with him up close only made her understand more why all of Kyle's past women that she wrote about ended up in heartbreak. He was dangerous and while she was living a little on the wild side for the sake of doing something different for her birthday, that didn't mean she should let her heart go on a ride, too.