3.34. Deathless, Strong, and Free

We gather around the jets to leave, short one person. Ava has decided to stay in Petra, at least until Ian gets better, she said; but Raviv offered them both positions with the World Alliance's development department to travel the globe in search of other communities and survivors. I think they'll take it... especially since one of Ava's requests to Raviv was that he bring Tempest back with him. Just in case that was the last I'll see of Ian and Ava for a while, I give them both big hugs before we leave.

I sleep most of the way home, and don't even notice that we've landed outside of Hellhole until Raviv opens the cockpit cover. "You're home," he announces. I stretch my arms, and Daniel helps me to stand.

Declan waits for us by the Immortal's pit, and waves to us with new mechanic fingers. "How was your trip?" he calls to us once we are approaching. He rocks back and forth on the balls of his feet like he's nervous about something.

"Beneficial," Raviv says.

"Amazing," I add.

Once we are close, Raviv and Declan shake hands. "Good to see you again, Raviv."

"You too, Mr. Kunkle. I am here on business, actually, from Ms. Ava Ward and Mr. Ian Becker. They are staying in Petra until he recovers, possibly longer, so I was asked to bring their child back for them."

Declan looks at me for confirmation. "It's true. They're staying there," I say.

"Okay, well... allow me to show you around the Immortal and we'll get baby Tempest all set up for the trip," he says, ushering us toward the pulley elevator they've constructed to carry people and things between the surface and the Immortal.

The four of us step onto the platform and hold onto the rope sides for balance. As Declan cranks us downward, he leans toward me. "Something happened," he whispers. "Something you should know about, but I don't want you or Daniel to worry, because Dr. Guzman and Joe are taking care of it."

"What is it?" Daniel asks. Declan is bad at whispering.

He leans away from my ear, and speaks to both of us now. "It's the baby... Eleanor had an emergency delivery while we were fighting. Eleanor is okay, but the baby is in an incubator in the infirmary. She's really premature. They're not sure if she'll make it."

The elevator platform touches down on the Immortal's patio, and without saying a word, Daniel and I sprint to the infirmary.

I don't expect Daniel to run to the baby, but he does. I stop at the foot of Eleanor's bed, and the two of us watch from a distance as Daniel stops and slowly approaches the baby. Eleanor appears well, though she winces as she sits up, probably still sore from the birth. I move to the side of her bed and take her hand.

Dr. Guzman greets Daniel at the incubator. "Daniel, I'm glad to see you made it home safely. How was Petra? It sounds exciting."

"How is she?" Daniel asks, looking into the incubator. With his back turned to me, I can't see his face, but I can hear the worry in his voice. He taps his middle finger to his thumb in anxiety.

Dr. Guzman lowers his clipboard. "As long as we can keep her here to continue developing, she should be fine. However, any number of complications could arise."

"Can I...?"

Dr. Guzman pulls a stool over for Daniel to sit on, and he takes a seat. He reaches his hand into a glove that stretches into the incubator, and holds her little fingers.

"Go on," Eleanor whispers to me, and pats my butt for me to move. I take slow steps toward the incubator and Daniel.

Dr. Guzman rolls another stool to the other side, where a second glove is, and I take a seat. I haven't had the courage to look at the baby directly yet, so I swallow hard and muster the strength.