1.24. Hacked

There's no time to think about my hand glitching: The explosion shakes the earth, and Mitchell's voice bellows over the screams. I load my weapon and run, shooting without care and leading my men to do the same. It makes me uncomfortable to think of how desensitized I've become to seeing the knocked out soldiers die, but this might be my chance to show the leaders I'm not a throwaway survivor. I have to fight for my life.

Phoebe and her crew detonate the bomb inside the bunker, only this time the ceiling caves in, leaving the entrance impassable. Of course this would happen while I'm leading.

Winston spins around the yard, shooting remaining government soldiers as he panics. "Any ideas, Isla?"

I look to the grates. If I suggest we use them, I could be ruining Declan and my plan, but if I don't think quickly, I won't prove the leaders wrong about me. The angry, stubborn Isla takes hold of me, and I race toward the nearest grate.

"This must lead into the bunker," I yell, pretending not to know. "Follow me!"

My group of soldiers and Alexander run after me, and together we yank the grate from the ground. It's wide enough to fit one of us at a time, so I order everyone to climb in, Alexander first. "Lead them to the President's quarters. Do what you need to do," I tell him. He does so without argument, and I turn back to the yard to protect my group against any government soldiers.

Winston joins me—I guess Mom has already died—and says, "Very quick thinking, Isla. We may have underestimated you after all. You have real leadership potential."

"I know," I say. I'm still too angry to thank him for the compliment.

Finally, all my soldiers have climbed into the narrow tunnel, and before I can join them, we are ejected from the immersion.

I lift my visor, and once again everyone is looking at me. Only this time, Phoebe, Winston, and Alexander look pale with worry, probably realizing the mistake in their plans. "So my soldiers were able to make it to the President's quarters, huh?"

Phoebe nods. "Yes."

I smile and laugh to myself with pride. "I guess I am a pretty good leader," I say.

Mom is beaming. Even Nate smiles. Maybe he sees now he doesn't have to worry about me in the attack or give me random number codes or shoot me with any more mysterious compounds. I can be my own hero, and they all see it now.

Declan is the only one who doesn't look pleased. I gave away the grates. He will understand when I tell him about what Alexander told me, though. He will understand that I had to show the leaders my strength. At least, I hope he will. I can't have Declan mad at me now. Besides, maybe the leaders will decide to use the grates now anyway. Maybe they aren't as idiotic as Declan and I gave them credit for.

"Let's take a break," Winston finally says. "Phoebe, Alexander, and I need to discuss a few things." Yeah you do, I think, and I smile to myself.

"Um, before you all go," Declan starts. "During the last immersion one of the navigators announced that we are only a few hours out from the refugee camp, and that we should be there before dinner. So you'll probably only be able to practice one more time before lunch, and then after that I suggest we focus on packing up whatever we want to carry off the Immortal."

"Good thinking, Dr. Kunkle," Mitchell chimes in.

"Where is the camp, exactly?" Mom asks.

"It's near the Colorado River," Phoebe says. "You'll recognize the place when you see it—well, maybe you won't—but it's where the rest of the refugees have been living, and it's where we will all start anew after our victory."

"After we get to the refugee camp, General Sato will help us acclimate to the real weapons and introduce us to his troops. He's in charge there," Winston adds.

Declan checks his watch. "Maybe we should get started with the last immersion for the day now," Declan says.

"Right, go ahead Dr. Kunkle. We'll wait to meet," Winston says.

Declan restarts the program and switches everyone in. When he gets to me, he leans silently toward me to flip my switch.

"I glitched that last time too," I say to break the silence.

"You did?"

"Watch me this time in case it happens again, okay?" I ask. He nods, and switches my control before I land once again in the virtual world of the program.

I lead again and follow the routine, same as always. When we get to the brush, I watch my hand, waiting for the explosion. It happens again, only this time it's not just the tips of my fingers. It's my entire hand.

The explosion sounds and the knock out canisters hiss open, so I lead my group into the yard after Phoebe's. We shoot at the virtual soldiers, and this time Phoebe's explosion in the bunker takes out the first wave of government soldiers. I lead my men into the smoke, even though I know for certain that the drains would work better, as they all must know by now.

As we run into the main foyer, a government soldier emerges unarmed. I load my slingshot and order him to stop. He's not wearing a gas mask, so he should follow my command without question; but instead, he kneels in front of me, his arms up in surrender.

"Don't shoot!" I yell to the Deathless soldiers behind me.

The government soldier's eyes are wide with terror. "Please, you have to help me. I don't know why I'm here. I was with Dr. Quail in the bunker, and now I am in the middle of an attack. I think something's wrong with my brain."

I'm about to call for Alexander to come and speak to this man when we're ejected from the program. I lift my visor. "What just happened?"

Phoebe rips off her straps, leaps up to the main computer, and yanks its plug from the wall, shutting the whole system down. The mechanic hum silences, and suddenly the room is quiet.

"What are you doing?" Winston asks once he tears the straps from his body.

"Someone hacked into the program. Someone from the bunker. The immersions end now. Shut down the program, Mitchell."

Mitchell laughs nervously. "This is my life's work."

"Shut it down," she orders, brushing the hair from her reddening face. "Win, Alex, Gabriela—go to the dining room. We're done here."

She storms out, and the three others follow her, leaving me, Mom, Mitchell, Declan, Nate, and Dr. Patel behind. Mitchell slams his visor on the ground.

"Get a grip, Dr. Harper," Dr. Patel scolds him. "Block any access from the bunker, and when she has calmed down, we will use your work again."

"Well if we're not training, I'm out of here," Nate says, storming out in Phoebe-like fashion.

Declan helps me out of my seat. "Pack up your room and then meet me in the lab to pack our stuff. We'll talk then."

I nod, and Mom and I leave to pack our few belongings. But what just happened? How did that soldier hack into Mitchell's program without any idea of what was going on? It could have been a trick, I think; but his expression was so sincere. That man was truly confused and terrified. Maybe whatever happened to that soldier is related to the glitches.

Whatever is going on, at least I showed my worth to the leaders, and now I have proof that the grates are better entry points. In a couple of hours, we will be at the refugee camp with the General, and he will fix everything. In a few short hours, I will be safe from the leaders.