Chapter 4 Immortality really is a curse

"Now remember Della, the outside world is very cruel to people like us. Which is why I need you to hold your wolf back." Mother softly says, caressing my cheeks with both hands.

"I know you hate it, I do too, but it's important." She says, pulling back loose bits of hair behind my ear.

"I know, Mother." I said straightening up.

"Good." she nods. "Now let's try again, focus real hard on your wolf. Feel your connection, your bond. Imagine her, there, in front of you, then softly push her back." She indicates.

I nod determinedly and close my eyes. Focusing hard on the bond that my wolf and I share. Then the outline of my wolf appears. When I can fully see her, I smile brightly.

I slowly put my hand out and look her dead in the eyes. "I'm doing this for our safety." I say softly through our link.

She nods, her ears dropping. She straightens them back up and she lets me continue. I softly push her back to the very back of my mind. Making my wolf whimper slightly, causing me to frown.

I slowly open my eyes, my frown still plastered on my face. I look up at my Mother who gives me a knowing look.

"I know sweetie, it's hard. The first few times are. But in order for us to stay safe, we must change. Even if it means coming off as a human." She says, bringing me into a hug. I nod and hug her back, digging my head into her neck. "I'm so proud of you Della, no other eight year old would have been able to do that." She whispers into my hair.

"I know." I reply.

*Bang* *Bang*

"Mother, what's that?" I ask, quickly turning around to the noise. She doesn't reply, making me turn back around to her. Only to find an empty space.

"Mother?" I call out. "Mother?"

I get up from the bed and look around my room, but now, I'm not in my room.

I'm in a dark room, strapped to a table.

I pull with all my strength against the straps. But I just become more weak by the silver that's wrapped in the straps.

"No! Please! Help me!" I scream. "Someone please! get me out of here!"

The door opens slowly, making its creaking echo the room.

A tall, buff man covered in tattoos walks into the room. He looks at my small ten year old self and smirks.

"Della Rosai. The youngest Female Lycan, and the second to exist." He states. His voice deep and thick with a German accent.

"What fun could I have with you?" He laughs. I cringe at his awful laugh.

He turns around and grabs a silver knife, coated with wolfsbane. "Let's get started then."

He closes the door laughing.

"NOO! STOP!!!" I yell as he comes closer to me. His smirk becomes bigger as the knife makes contact with my skin, making me yell in pain.

Tears slide down my checks with every cut he makes upon my skin. He doesn't stop, until I'm almost dead.

He looks down at my weak form one last time, giving me that same proud smirk. I silently plead for him to stop. But he ignored me and raised his fist up and punched my face.

My whole body shoots forward, my breathing heavy and eyes wide. Sweat runs down my forehead and my nails, now claws, digging into the bed's mattress, and my t-shirt in front of my heart.

I try to control my crazy breathing, only for it to become worse.

A banging noise at the door makes me jump off the bed.

Now on the hard floor, I push myself into the farthest corner of the room.

"Tia, are you up? Breakfast is ready." A soft voice says.

I pay no attention to it as I try to regain composure.

"Tia, hey, are you okay?" Ness says after I don't reply.

The door opens making me curl into my ball even more.

My breathing still ragged and uneven. Ness quickly picks this up and looks in my direction.

"Oh my word, Tia!" She half yells. She quickly runs towards me and kneels down.

"Shhhhh...Relax Della, think of something else, think of when you and your mother would travel." She coos.

I try and follow her instructions as carefully as I can. I think of my road trips around the world, anything to get my mind off the nightmare.

The door opens again. This time to a very worried looking Henry, who rushes in with a bottle of water in his hand.

"It's okay, Della, you're safe now." He says softly.

My breathing slowly goes even again and my drumming heart smooths out to a steady beat. I close my eyes and rest my head against the wall.

A lot of people would do anything for immortality. But it really is a curse. I've seen and been through so much crap, it's haunting. I have nightmares almost every night, not all go to the extent of me ending like this. But it still shakes me up in the morning. I wish they would go away. I've tried everything, but nothing works. I'm forced to relive my worst moments and I can't do anything about it.

"You okay, dear?" Henry asks. I open my eyes and look at him, I don't bother smiling. It won't prove anything. So I nod.

He rubs a towel against my forehead and softly smiles at me. Ness grabs the water her dad brought in and gives it to me. I'm grateful she let me do it, I don't like to be waited upon.

I send a small grateful smile her way before slowly drinking the water. When the water is empty I pass it back to Ness who puts it in the bin.

Henry pulls the towel away and looks at me, in a way of pity and sorrow. A familiar look I get, quite a lot.

"Please, don't look at me like that." I whisper hoarsely.

"Sorry Della, you know I don't mean to. But it's something I simply can't control." He says, pulling hair away from my face.

I sigh and get up from the floor. Taking a deep breath I stretch out my muscles, causing my bones to crack. Ness winces slightly at the sound.

Blood, bones cracking or dead bodies don't usually bother a werewolf too much since we see it a lot. But Ness is different on this matter, she is the perfect example of a lover, not a fighter.

"Sorry." I say giving her a knowing look. She smiles and shrugs it off.

"Thank you, for helping me too." I said, looking at the two in front of me.

"You would do the same." Is Henry's simple reply.

"It's the least we could do." Says Ness, picking up the blanket that had fallen onto the floor. I put it on my bed.

"Okay now, go get freshened up. Breakfast is ready, and everyone can't wait to meet the Mate of the Lycan King." Nees says, smirking.

"Yeah, yeah." I huff. They both walk to the door, they each sent me a small smile before walking out.

Letting the smile fall and the anger and sadness make an appearance. I walk into the bathroom and have a long, warm, relaxing shower. The water and my uncontrollable feelings go down the drain.

I put on a simple white t-shirt and jeans. A New York cardigan and white scarf, with wooly boots. I tie my long white hair into a ponytail and put a neutral look on my face.

"Time to face the crowd."