What the River Brought

Jack made it up for breakfast with everyone else the next morning. The atmosphere was different from the night before. Deirdre was subdued, somewhat circumspect, waiting for an axe to fall and clearly uncertain why it didn't. On her best behaviour while she waited, she chatted politely with her aunt, complimented Bridie on the food, asked her mother for news and listened intently for the answer. It didn't quite fool anyone, but made for a pleasanter morning than they'd expected.

Fanny, Jack noticed, hadn't slept too well the night before either, but chatted brightly with Eleonora and Lady Charlotte, far more a contributor to the table than she'd been so far. Eleonora, for her part, welcomed the conversation and visibly relaxed. Lady Charlotte, surprised by conviviality, thanked her stars and enjoyed it. Jack complimented Bridie on a breakfast fit for kings, exchanged one look with Abigail, another with Fanny, a quite different one with Deirdre, made a point of praising Eleonora's outfit and discussed Churchill's speech with Lady Charlotte.

‘Through the Narrows of the Dardanelles and across the ridges of the Gallipoli Peninsula lie some of the shortest paths to a triumphant peace.’ she quoted. ‘I'd love to believe him correct, but somehow I can't think attacking the Turks is going to help.’

Jack agreed. The casualty figures from Gallipoli and the reports of how the advantages won had all been squandered didn't inspire confidence in the generals.

When Deirdre collared Jack alone after breakfast he explained how Miss Brampton and he had discussed the situation last night and he'd persuaded her there was no need for Lady Charlotte to be involved.  Deirdre's expression changed to triumphant at a speed Jack disliked.

‘That's for now, of course. It's always possible we're going to have a crisis of conscience and find we simply have to talk to your mother about your 'goings on' lest we be thought to be collaborators in them.’

‘Brampton wouldn't dare!’

‘By herself, possibly not. But I would. And I can manage things so she doesn't have a choice. All depends on you really. Give me options and I'll let everyone have a peaceful time. Make things sticky for me…’ He let the thought hang for a moment. ‘I enjoyed your company last night and you made breakfast a sight better than dinner. I wouldn't mind if things stayed more pleasant for everyone.’

Deirdre pouted. ‘It's alright for you. This is just a holiday. I hate coming back here. There's nothing to do and almost no one to talk to. Brampton takes out her frustrations at her fiancé being gone on me and mummy nags me all of the time. I'm going to see Hilary Farnsworth this morning, but then there's nothing to do for days.’

‘Hmm, perhaps we could arrange for a picnic somewhere this weekend. We'd have to take Miss Brampton, for the look of things, but you could show me the nice spots. Have a think. We might be able to liven up the holiday for both of us.’

Deirdre wasn't quite sure how to take the idea and Jack had no intention of enlightening her, so she left wondering just how much fun he intended trying for. Later that day she made Hilary suitably jealous with talk of the handsome boy with the Army father. She neglected to mention his age, of course, but Hil didn't ask once she'd heard Deirdre had visited him in his room late at night and how swimmingly things had been going till Brampton turned up.

‘Dee, you're just impossible, I swear, I'd never dare try such a lark. Daddy says he knows of his father. He's rather famous, Daddy says. Got beaten up and left for dead by members of some Chinese gang, so learned Asian fighting to defend himself. Daddy says he can kill a man with his bare hands and he's been in hundreds of fights and always wins. Can this Jack do that, do you think?’

Deirdre, thinking, decided there'd been a coldness in Jack's blue eyes suggesting he could, actually, and told Hilary so.

‘He's not one of those doggy boys, Hil. You can see it in his eyes. He's one of the wolfy types.’