Paperwork

Jack lay for a while trying to think about what was happening and how he felt about it. When the door opened again and Eleonora slipped through he was pleased to see her, but still felt this was assuming aspects of a stage farce. She ran to his side, sat down and kissed him.

‘Caro. I did not want to wake you this morning, but I had to go.’

He took her in his arms and just held her for one long minute. It was more eloquent than anything he could have thought to say to her.

‘I cannot stay, but just I wanted to see you. Fanny talked to me.’ She looked him straight in the face. ‘We girls, we understand each other and you must not to worry.’ She ruffled his hair, more like a favourite auntie than a lover, ‘Jack, we worry it is us that use you, not that you are the one who uses us.’

‘You don’t, but…’

‘No, Caro. There is no but. The world is mad now. All the pieces are broken and we do only what we can to live and be happy. For Fanny and me, you make us happy in this broken world. We had no idea this was possible. How this works we do not know, but we will not break it like the rest of the world breaks what was good. We want this. We need this. Life before was not good and this only can last a short time, so we will be kind with each other and keep it good for everyone. I think I do not say it well, but do you understand me?’

He hugged her.

‘So, I should tell you that I’ve invited Abigail out this weekend. We’re going to town to watch a film.’ He waited for the response. She laughed.

‘Jack. Do you think I will be angry? No. She is the one you can walk out with and no one will think it strange. With me, what would I be? Your auntie? Cosa mortificazione! If she takes you away from me, I will cut out her heart. This is for certain. Well, maybe no. The only promise we can make is to be kind to each other.’

She kissed him on the cheek and then left.

I don’t believe this is happening to me, thought Jack. The coin is landing on heads every time I call it.

Did you worry about the sun rising this morning, then? asked the voice in his head. Nah. It happened and you just accepted it. Now do the same here. It’s happening. Take yes for an answer and don’t quibble with good luck. It might have taken the combined efforts of the entire world to set up a situation where you get it cushy, but it’s happened.

Jack decided there was no arguing with that, stripped, washed and then wondered what to do next. Fanny and the girls were going to be busy with something or other – he hadn’t caught what. Eleonora hadn’t said anything about him modelling again, so he guessed he wasn’t. Well, she hadn’t slept well last night, had she? Very well, back to Jane Austin.

He picked up the book and left his room. Down the corridor, from the open door of Lord Percival’s study, he heard a sliding sound, a thud of something hitting the floor and a quick ‘Damn’. A sheet of paper slid over the wooden floor to land in the corridor in front of him. He picked it up and walked in to the study. Lady Charlotte, wearing reading glasses which he noticed she snatched off her face as soon as she saw him, was already crouching over a folder’s worth of papers spilled clear across the carpet.

‘Oh, can I help you with those?’

‘Ah, yes, thank you Jack. They’re in a mess anyway, but this doesn’t help. They should be in order by date. I wonder if you could be a dear and help me sort them. Perhaps if we lay them across the carpet? There’s no room on this desk.’

Jack almost asked which desk. It was a big piece of furniture, but the surface was completely covered in heaps of files, books and ledgers.

‘What is all this?’