Chapter Twenty-One

Better Than Revenge

Chapter 21

The war between Christian and me was finally over. Well, kind of. We still fought like cats and dogs, but at least the press was no longer involved and our reputations weren’t at stake here. 

It had been three weeks since Christian surrendered and things were finally dying down. We were stuck in the spotlight for the entire first two weeks. The rumors were just too much. Thinking back, I realized that maybe we did go a little overboard… 

Nora was still kind of irked at us for the bad press, as were our managers, but now that people were beginning to focus on other scandals, things were getting better. 

The drama in my life had decreased greatly, something that I was definitely happy about. That is, it decreased greatly until Christian’s dumb ex-girlfriend had to go and ruin it. 

I was on set, as usual, when she showed up. She caught me off guard. I hadn’t expected some psycho ex-girlfriend to confront me as I walked out of my trailer to go talk to Jake.

“Hey, Sophia,” the girl sneered, stopping me in my tracks. Her voice had a distinct country twang to it.

I could tell just from her facial expression that she was not a loving fan and that this conversation was going to be less than pleasant. “Well, hello, random creeper,” I answered, nodding at her and stepping to the side so I could go on my way once again.

“Who said I was done talkin’ to you?” she asked in annoyance, reaching out and grabbing hold of me.

“Me,” I replied simply, shaking her off. 

“I’m not done talkin’ to you!” she snapped from behind me. 

I rolled my eyes. This ought to be good. “What do you want?” I snapped right back. “Can’t you see I’m busy? Unlike you, I have things to do.” 

“Unlike me? You are nobody compared to me. I’m Cassandra Lovett, Christian’s girlfriend. On-and-off girlfriend, yeah, but that don’t change anything. You’re nobody.” 

 “If I’m ‘nobody’, why are you begging me to stop and talk to you?” I asked with a smirk.

“I’m not beggin’.” She scowled at me. 

“Seems that way to me,” I pointed out smugly. 

“Whatever!” Cassandra exclaimed irritably. “This is so lame. It’s so not why I came here.”

“Then get on with it and tell me why you came here,” I said with a yawn. “You’re putting me to sleep here.” 

She narrowed her eyes at me. “I came here because I don’t need you fallin’ in love with Christian. I’m makin’ sure you don’t.” 

I looked at her for a few seconds, deduced that she was being completely serious, and burst out laughing. I didn’t stop for a good minute, either. 

This was where we attracted a bit of a crowd… it was probably because of my raucous laughter, although her screaming probably didn’t help much. 

Cassandra didn’t seem so amused. “Stop laughin’,” she demanded, curling her lip at me. “This is serious. I don’t want you fallin’ in love with Chris. Most of the stupid girls he works with do and I don’t want that happenin’ again.” 

Still giggling, a bit hysterically, I might add, I finally answered her. “That has to be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.” 

“It’s not!” she snapped viciously. “It’s happened, and a lot! I don’t want it happenin’ again! And I don’t want him fallin’ for you, either!”