Chapter Thirty

Better Than Revenge

 Chapter 30

"Now, don't hit me for asking this, but..." Christian smirked at me. "Was someone a little jealous, maybe?" 

I made some noise I can't even describe. I don't even know what it was, honestly. It was like a Chewbacca noise. It was quite frightening. "No, I wasn't." The calmness in my voice was actually really surprising, because I was panicking on the inside. 

"Really?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me. "So you always trespass into people's property, eavesdrop on private conversations and then butt in when they start kissing?" 

"You were kissing back?" I blurted out. I could have sworn he was trying to push her away... damn you, darkness. Such a deceiver. 

He just laughed. "No, I wasn't, but this is just proving my point. You were jealous, Soph." 

"I was not jealous," I insisted, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Then have fun explaining why you pushed Cassandra away from me when she tried to kiss me," Christian said, looking more amused than anything.

Ugh. He didn't believe me. The stupid cow. I obviously wasn't jealous. I wasn't sure why I jumped out and stopped her from further invading his personal space, but it wasn't because I was jealous, of course. 

This explanation had to be good or I would never get out of this alive. "I was just... just saving you... from her... tongue." 

That explanation failed. I fully realized this. But it was all I could come up with under pressure, in my defense.

He snickered, covering his mouth to hide his laughter. Putting a serious face on, he asked, "Then you'd be okay if I told you I need to go catch up to her and apologize before she hates me even more?"

My mouth dropped open. "You're seriously going back to that... that... that whore?!" 

Christian clearly had no dignity or self-respect. And he was obviously a total liar! One minute, he was declaring his undying love for me-well, it wasn't quite that dramatic, but that was irrelevant-and the next he was chasing after his old girlfriend?

This was ridiculous. 

Christian grinned. "No, but I just wanted to see what you would say if you thought I was."

I closed my mouth, which was, for some reason, still open. Damn. How had I fallen for that one? I usually wasn't this gullible. What was going on? 

"Admit it, Soph. You're jealous." He seemed genuinely happy about this.

"I'm not jealous!" I insisted, but I was starting to question myself. Had I been jealous? There really was no other explanation for my actions. What I felt when Cassandra had her hands all over Christian and was shoving her tongue down his throat was pretty much anger. It only made sense that that anger signified that I... was jealous. "Well, not anymore," I muttered, half-hoping he wouldn't hear me. 

"What was that?" he asked, and it was completely obvious that he had heard me perfectly well. He just wanted to hear me say it again. 

I sighed. "I said, 'Well, not anymore.'" 

"Not anymore what?" 

I shot him an irritated look. "Are you always an idiot? Or is it just when I'm around?" 

"It's usually just when you're around," Christian admitted. "But you know... I just don't get what you're saying. Explain?" 

I resisted the urge to wring his neck. "I said I wasn't jealous anymore."