Chapter 6

Chapter Six:

"Are you sure you want to do this, Kendall?" Kat questioned as I slipped on my second shoe.

"I'm positive. I need something to do and Tyler offered." I explained my reasoning.

She didn't exactly think it was a smart idea playing receptionist to the Royals. She figured that whatever was going on between King Finnian and I was better handled privately, just the two of us. She didn't think anyone else needed to know our business.

Apparently, she had had a vision about this after I told her my plans last night. She wasn't completely sure what she had seen. Visions were sometimes... blurry, for lack of a better word, and hard to decipher. From what she could make out, King Finnian had a reason for his coldness towards me. What that reason was, she couldn't say, but she felt it was safer to keep things a secret until we could find out more.

"Are you sure you're not just looking to get under a certain someone's skin?" She gave me a knowing look.

"No." I lied. Well, partially lied.

I was honest about needing something to do. I didn't want to just sit around all day and there was only so much exploring I could do around here. I couldn't tell myself that the thought of being near Finnian all day didn't cross my mind, but I would have accepted Tyler's offer even if his office wasn't near Finnian's. That was just a perk.

"How do I look?" I changed the subject before she could call me on my lies. She knew me so well; I could never get away with anything less than the truth with her.

I held my arms out and twirled around slowly in front of her. I was dressed in a burgundy loose crop top sweater, a high-waisted short black flared skirt, black tights, and heeled black ankle boots. I had pulled my hair up into two messy space buns. My eye make-up was dark and my lips were painted in a lipstick that matched my burgundy sweater.

"Beautiful; like always. You'll get the reaction you're looking for." Kat told me, crossing her arms over her chest in annoyance. "Just be careful, okay? I think there is a lot more to this story than either of us realize. I don't want you to get in over your head."

"I'll be careful; I promise." I assured her when her voice went from stern to worried.

"Okay, good. You want to walk over together? I'm meeting Niki in a few minutes."

I nodded and we left my room and made our way to the west wing of the castle.

"So how's training going?" I asked her as we walked.

I hadn't had much of a chance to talk to her about this. The only times I had seen her since we got here was in the morning and during and after dinner. We hadn't really been alone to discuss this.

I hadn't seen much of Matt or Dalton either. Even after my as close to a heart to heart as Dalton and I could get last night, he had been absent this morning. They had gone before we could even eat breakfast. Kat said they left before the sun even came up.

"It's going great. I've almost mastered water. We're going to start wind after that. Today I'm going to harness water to see a past memory from someone's mind. It's a very complicated spell. I'm a little nervous; I've never tried it before."

"You can do that? Go through someone's memories?" That seemed a little too intrusive for me.

"Yeah, but like I said. It's difficult to do. Most witches can't perform it. I know it seems intrusive, but think of its tactical benefits. You can see what the enemy has planned before he even can follow through."