Baby Blue Eyes

Mistakes are an inescapable part of human life; it’s true, we make them right from the moment we’re born. Not every mistake is foolish, of course: there are thousands of different types of mistakes, every one of them with different consequences. Some of them have no impact on your life; others change it forever, haunting you for the rest of your days.

They can come from anywhere; anyone can make them. Even the most trustworthy people can do something that’s so awful that it changes your view of them permanently. Sometimes their mistakes can be forgiven. Sometimes they can’t. Sometimes even the most beautiful baby blue eyes can’t convince you to change your mind, sometimes you just have to live on in the knowledge that that person wasn’t who you thought they were. Sometimes, those mistakes can’t be forgiven, and therefore, they can’t be forgotten either.

I guess it’s inevitable that everyone makes mistakes. But it’s not inevitable that they must be forgiven.

~

 It hadn’t been a promising start to the day, being a Monday morning, and, even worse than that, a grey, drizzly Monday morning, when even the skies seem to lament the passing of the weekend and the prospect of the long week ahead. But, it had provided inspiration, and so, as I look out of the window, I smile at the rain heavy clouds as if they’re close friends.

I tap my foot against the floor, glancing impatiently at the clock. He should be here by now. Knowing him, he’s probably still in the Chemistry lab, cleaning up his test tubes with the sort of precision that makes me wonder if he has OCD. Stifling a yawn, I glance around the room, all the students milling about providing a good opportunity for some people watching. Although it seems a tad voyeuristic, I always like people watching. There’s something rather fun about seeing all the various types of people, their different appearances making a little melee of colour. 

Someone puts their hands over my eyes, putting an end to my people watching, and I twist in my chair, laughing as I realise with relief that he’s finally arrived.

Pulling his hands away from my eyes, he rolls his own at me and sits down. ‘So, I got your text consisting of mainly capital letters and exclamation marks,’ he says, sarcastically, crossing his arms, blinking his dark eyes.

‘Don’t mock me,’ I warn him, reaching over to ruffle his hair. He immediately reaches up to straighten it back into place, still looking unimpressed. ‘I’ve had the best idea in the entire universe!’

‘Oh god, Zoey, what now?’ Matt asks desperately. ‘I’m not sure my nerves can cope with any more of your ‘brilliant’ ideas.’

‘Don’t be a spoil sport,’ I reply. ‘I met Jamie and Eddie at break, and we got to reminiscing-’

Matt groans. ‘It gets worse!’

‘Let me finish!’ I protest. ‘And we thought, why don’t we reform?’

‘Reform?!’ Matt’s jaw drops. ‘Reform?!’

‘Yes, reform.’ I cross my arms, leaning back to wait for his reaction. ‘Reform The Something Somethings.’

‘But… but Zo, you’ve always said you were never working with Levi again! Where did this change of mind come from?’

‘Matt, my life is boring. I eat, I sleep, I do school work- I don’t have a hobby anymore!’

‘But… Levi?’

‘We don’t necessarily need him,’ I say, smirking smugly as I watch his reaction.

‘We don’t… need him?!’ Matt splutters.

‘No,’ I repeat, firmly. ‘We don’t need him at all.’