Chapter Fourteen

It seems that over the next few days, between rehearsals, lessons and completing even more shifts at the book shop, I barely have a chance to stop. Before I know it, it’s mid afternoon on Saturday, and Willow and I are desperately trying to get changed and ready before Levi arrives along with the rest of the band to take us to Jethro’ house. I say house. I looked it up on Google maps, and it’s more like a mansion.

Willow examines her white dress critically. ‘Oh Zoey, I swear this is too summery and cutesy for a party!’

‘Borrow something of mine,’ I urge her, gesturing towards my wardrobe with my free hand. The other is holding my curling tongs, desperately trying to get my hair into some sort of order.

‘Something of yours?’ Willow repeats.

I look at my hair. Nope, it’s not cooperating. Sigh. ‘Yes, something of mine,’ I reply. ‘We’re the same size, aren’t we? It’ll just be shorter on you.’

‘If you’re sure,’ Willow replies, going over to my wardrobe. Giving up with the curling tongs, I instead plait the front of my hair over the top of my head speedily, thanking my lucky stars when it stays in place. Quickly putting on some rather glittery eyeliner that makes my eyes stand out, coupled with mascara and some foundation, I survey the result.

Not too bad. I eventually decided on a red day dress, a rather cute one with little shiny buttons on the front and a high waist, and added a baggy cardigan to make it less formal. I’m kind of pleased with the result, hopefully I look like a lead singer, without looking too formal.

‘You look amazing, Zo,’ Willow tells me, with a smile. ‘So effortlessly… indie-ish.’

‘Aww,’ I say, feeling touched. ‘That’s so sweet of you.’

She sifts through my wardrobe. ‘I’m still stuck. What should I go for?’

‘You suit everything, Will, I’m sure I can find something!’ Pulling out a dress at random, I hold it up to her, experimentally. ‘That would bring out your eyes,’ I say, mulling it over.

‘You think so?’ she asks, looking at it helplessly.

‘Definitely. Or this one?’ I ask, pulling out another. ‘You’d look gorgeous in that, for sure.’

She looks at it. ‘Ooh, I like them both! Which one?’

I suddenly realise the time, and thrust them both at her. ‘Quick! We have less than five minutes- decide, decide!’

Willow panics. ‘Oh I don’t know!’ she cries, so I take away the first, and tell her to go and change. Sometimes with Willow, a no nonsense approach is the only way forward to get something done.

When Willow is finally dressed, I hear a car horn beep outside. ‘That’s them,’ I tell her, and picking up my guitar, popping my phone in the side pocket of the case, I head downstairs.

As Willow follows me, she suddenly grabs my hand. ‘Oh no, Zoey! This dress is way too short!’

I look down. It is short for her, showing off the majority of her thigh, but it makes her legs look miles long. ‘I’m sure people will be wearing far less clothing than you are, Will,’ I tell her, giving her hand a squeeze. ‘You’ll be fine!’

Looking slightly reassured, Willow and I head out to the car Eddie’s parked in the drive way. It’s more of a van, actually, with the drum kit packed in the back, and Jamie, Matt and Levi sat in the back seats, Eddie in the front.

As Willow gets into the passenger seat, I notice Jamie eyeing her legs. Giving him a gentle shove, I laugh at him. ‘Stop drooling, boy!’ I tell him, and he looks up at me, innocently.