Chapter Twelve

A/N: I fully realise this is LONG overdue, but here we goooo, at LONG last, I am updating BBE. I realise I haven't updated since June or something horrendous, but I honestly didn't realise how many of you wanted to read this! I'm very flattered that you've stuck by it, and I promise you I won't wait seven months before I update again :P much love and sorry again! Maddie xoxoxoxo

'Well done for all turning up on time,’ Matt congratulates us, as we gather outside the coffee shop. The weekend seemed to fly past up to this point; I feel so nervous right now that my stomach is doing little flips.

Levi and I discussed this yesterday during our shift in the book shop. Thankfully we managed to stay civil towards each other, though that was probably because I ran off with the dusters and various polishes before he could protest. We reminisced over how nervous we both used to get before gigs. You could always tell that I was nervous, thanks to my shaky hands and laboured breathing, but Levi was much more subtle; he used to go three shades paler. Then, after the first note, we’d get sucked into the music, and forget all about the fact that we were performing in front of so many people.

‘I wouldn’t have dared not to turn up on time,’ Eddie whispers to me, making me chuckle.

‘I heard that,’ Matt informs him. ‘Right, shall we go on in?’

Carrying my guitar, I follow Levi, who is also carrying his guitar, along with a small amp for himself and for Jamie. Matt’s going to be playing the in shop piano, while Eddie’s carrying his Cajon drum.

As we go in, I hear a cry of: ‘there they are!’ Looking up, I spot a rather gorgeous guy heading over in our direction, his dark eyes twinkling and his messy, ruffled hair making him look simultaneously sexy and dishevelled. Wow.

Levi waves at him. ‘Guys, this is Jude,’ he introduces us. ‘He got us the gig; he works here on Sundays.’

Ah. Jude. Now I recognise him; he used to be in the year above us at school, one of the hottest boys in school. I’m pretty sure he used to be a dancer too, which didn’t really go with the whole ‘popularity’ thing, but he seemed like a nice enough person.

‘Hey,’ Jude says, running one hand through his mussed up hair. ‘If you follow me, I’ll show you where you can set up.’

Following him, we move round the cute little tables, maneveuring our instruments in an attempt not to hit anyone in the face. People are sat there, sipping coffee, and they look at us in interest, clearly wondering if we’re going to be any good. I can only hope and pray that we will be.

Jude directs us to a little corner of the shop where the piano is. It’s in full view of the entire shop, with some stools set up ready for us to sit on.

‘Thanks,’ Levi tells him. ‘I’ll catch up with you later, yeah?’

‘Sure thing,’ Jude replies. ‘Shout if you need anything!’

Jamie opens his mouth, as if he’s about to shout, but Eddie covers it up with one hand. ‘Look, your girlfriend’s arriving,’ he distracts him.

We turn, and so she is. Along with a whole group of friends, there’s Jamie’s pretty girlfriend, Helen, her dark eyes sparkling warmly as she spots him and waves. He winks back at her as she goes to get a seat nearby us. Jude’s there almost instantly to take their orders, looking extremely gorgeous in his waiter’s outfit. Yum.

But anyway, this isn’t a game of Spot the Hot guy. I’m here to perform. Levi and I tune up our guitars together, settling onto our chairs to do a quick sound check. All appears to be in order, so, with a quick glance at Matt, who gives us a nod, I look at Levi.